• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231 swap (not stupid)

BingBing

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting mixed info on this subject. I'm looking to swap my 242 out of my 91' with an AW4 to a 231 possibly from a 98' or so. I know it's pretty much a bolt-in swap. BUT, what is this about the spline counts? If i have a 91' what spline count is my AW4 and would i be able to use a later model t-case for the swap? TIA

Everything starting /w 1991 production model (when they went to HO) is 23 spline. I have never seen a 1990 that's 23 spline and I've never seen a 1991 that's 21 spline, and I have considerable experience ripping these apart :)

J

That you for the replies. I will go ahead with the swap then.

Dont forget that spline length is also an issue.

Whats the issue with the spline length?

Ah - I'd forgotten about that.

If you check Advance Adapters' site, I think you'll find a description there. I seem to recall that the AW4 had FOUR different outputs over the years - 21-sp "short," 21-sp "long," 23-sp "short," and 23-sp "long."

I don't recall how much of an issue that is for swaps - but I think the "short" was flush with the housing, and the "long" stuck out a half-inch or so. More information available from AA, I think. www.advanceadapters.com

5-90

I couldn't find any info on their site. Would this prevent me from doing a swap?

i would think that one or the other would be more common, i just don't what one that would be....so,...i'm no help at all...sorry.

Back