• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will non c-clip D35 Trac-Lok work in my c-clip?

wheelin4cheap

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the REAL answer? I have searched and only found conflicting answers.

Situation is this: I can get a D35 Trac-Lok for almost nothing out of a non-clip axle. I want to know if I will still be able to put my c-clips back in if I install the Trac-Lok in my c-clip axle.

I assume that it will work because there is no option for c-clip vs. non c-clip Trac-Lok if I was to order a new one, but I like I said I am just trying to get a REAL answer. Thanks!

somebody that knows more bout these junk axles speak up, but i think no. the side gears need the little groove so the c-clip will set in it and the axleshaft must be pulled out to each sides, to get the cross shaft for the carrier in. without the c-clip side gears teh shafts will be too far in and the carrier shaft wont be able to slide in.

I think you may be right. Just because the Dana site shows the same replacement part numbers for the trac-lok assembly doesn't necessarily mean you can take an older non-clip version and use it in a newer c-clip axle. It may just mean the newer side gears with the c-clip inset will work on the older setup that doesn't need them.

I've had my non-clip rear diff cover off, but I didn't pay too much attention to the side gears.

lawsoncl said:
See this thread and the answer from Ryan Brown http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25020

Kinda confirms that the tracloks are backwards compatible, but not forwards compatible. Kinda like most Microsoft products.

I read that thread when I did my searching, and that post by Rawbrown is the only evidence I have found that there is a difference between the c-clip and non c-clip Trac-Loks.

Thanks for the posts guys...Still trying for a solid answer on this though. I guess I need a post from someone who has tried this, successful or not.

I hope I'm not confusing this thread more, but;

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO HOLD THE AXLES IN?

Are you asking, if you use the non-"C"-Clip Differential, will you still be able to secure the axles with the "C"-Clips?

OR

Are you asking, if you use the non-"C"-Clip Differential, will the differential secure the axles without "C"-Clips?

Remember, the axle has to have stops from sliding in as well as out, the diff pin (or axle bearings) stops the axle from sliding in farther, the C-Clip stops the axle from sliding out. If the C-Clip is NOT right up against something, the axle will slide out as far as the gap between the C-Clip and the spider gear, which can trash the bearing.

Have you priced C-Clip Eleminators? Do they work or available on the Dana 35? Thats something to look into for the this project, if the existing C-Clip axles won't work with the new differential, than can you make them work with C-Clip eleminators?

I believe the C-Clip eleminators are special bearings that are pressed on the axle with a compression ring to help hold them in place, like my Chrysler 8.75" axle in my '69 Charger, and then there is a part that bolts to the end of the axle tube that hold the bearing in place. In the muscle car scene the C-Clip eleminators were all the rage, they really cut down on the axles coming apart from broken C-Clips, I would think they could fix the problem.

If he's only changing the carrier, the non-C axles will still be retained by the bearing retainer plate at the ends. If he's got the C-clip axles, he'll need to change the side gears (at least!) so he'll have the grooves for the C-clips.

Frankly, I'd just change the whole rear axle and be quit of the whole C-clip debacle.

I seem to recall that the differential carriers are close to the same (where'd I put that Dana BoM listing?) but the side gears are DEFINITELY different, and the spider gears MAY BE different.

5-90

So it sounds like the answer to the original question is "Yes, and No". In other words...no one on this forum knows the REAL answer and you are going to have to just try it and let us know how it goes. :)

Back