• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for removing gauges?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove my gauges in my 1996 XJ and was wondering just how difficult this is to do? I assume the plastic surround from the steering wheel needs to come off along with the screws that are above the gauge cluster. Once I get that out is that all there is to it? Information and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamie

There are four screws for the bezel -- two above the gauges, one above the headlight switch, and one bove the cigar lighter. The insert below the steering column snaps off, then the bezel can be gently pulled toward you and worked out. There are some friction clips around the radio and a/c vent openings -- don't pull too forcefully or you may break something.

Once the bezel is out, there are six (I think) more screws holding the instrument cluster in. Remove those and pull toward you. Two wiring harness plugs in the back -- one for the gauges, one for the cluster of warning lights on the left.

With a '96 you have an electronic speedo, so you don't have to worry about the cable being too short.

Gauges mount to the panel with two screws through a printed circuit board.

One thing to add: when they changed from the GM to the Chrysler steering column, they didn't bother to change the bezel, and on the 95-up, it's pretty difficult to get that bezel off and back on without either breaking it or jamming it into the rocker switches on the dash (I wasn't paying attention the first time I did mine, and broke the rear defrost switch). The "insert below the steering column" was dropped, so don't worry if you can't find it.

Don't be afraid to flex the bezel a good deal to get it in and out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to take off the gauges without any trouble at all. I installed some white face gauges that look pretty nice and are in keeping with my Jeep's black, white, and grey color scheme. I have to do some wiring for the new gauges but I think I am going to save that for this weekend since I have some other wiring work to do this weekend as well.

I did have to flex the bezel a bit but she came right out with out too much fuss.

Thanks again!

Jamie

Back