• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfercase swap 207 to???

wilburbeast

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 85 wag xj with 2.8l auto trans and 207 transfercase i think its about to die what transfercases can i swap relitivly easy? any help would be cool thanks
also any one swap auto to manual trans?

My 86xj, 2.5l, ax-5 has 207 with 21 spline. While looking for a replacement, I ran across a 207 with 23 spline. I suspect the 23 spline was out of 2.8l.

The GM cases used a 27 spline input. The 231s came in several inputs. 21, 23, 27, and 32. The 27 and 32 were both GM applications. The rest were all Jeep applications, except for the 231D used in the Dodge 1/2ton trucks in the mid 90s up, it was 23 spline with the big chain and gears and heavy duty planetary set.

wilburbeast said:
thanks for the help so basicly a 231 will fit what is the better transfercase?
207 is a decent tcase but a little weaker then the 231 and not as low a low range. i have 2 of them in the shop if you need one jsut let me know... shipping may be a killer....

Yup..if it has a 904 auto trans....23 spline long nose....the 207 isn't a bad case and will be much cheaper to get...I bought a couple o spares for 50 bux each. It just doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket goodies available.The manual trans units are 21 spline. The 231 is a great case....the 231HD case has a stronger chain/gearset.

Back