• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan comes on/off/on/off....

Whiskey Tango

NAXJA Forum User
All of the fuses are good, and the relay seems to be good. But the fan still comes on and off all of the time. The fan will come on for about 5-8 seconds and then go off for about twenty, then the cycle starts again. This only happens when the heat/ac is on and if I turn it off the electric fan turns off. I tried disconnecting the fan to see what it would do since it is not real warm outside right now and I still hear the relay being triggered as if it is still turning on. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there another relay or a sensor somewhere that I have missed? Any help would be great!

Whiskey Tango said:
All of the fuses are good, and the relay seems to be good. But the fan still comes on and off all of the time. The fan will come on for about 5-8 seconds and then go off for about twenty, then the cycle starts again. This only happens when the heat/ac is on and if I turn it off the electric fan turns off. I tried disconnecting the fan to see what it would do since it is not real warm outside right now and I still hear the relay being triggered as if it is still turning on. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there another relay or a sensor somewhere that I have missed? Any help would be great!
That's the way it is suppose to work.

It goes on and off with the A/C compressor to compensate for the additional heat load from the A/C condenser. The A/C compressor runs intermittantly for defrost and A/C but not for heat.

It shouldn't do that when you have it on only heat , it cycles on the AC and heat/defrost settings. If you meant that setting , then yep , it's normal and will drive ya nuts :)

It is also temperature activated - if you're running at or near design temp, you should get "fan cycling" as a normal course. Since the later fans move more air (and are often used as upgrades for earlier fans,) they'll lower temperature quicker, and won't need to run as long.

As far as me goes, I've just hardwired mine with an override switch (in my 88 - haven't sorted how to do it with later models yet,) and the switch is usually ON, so if the key is ON, the fan is on. I turn the switch off if the engine isn't running, or it's a cold day.

5-90

Ridr said:
It shouldn't do that when you have it on only heat , it cycles on the AC and heat/defrost settings.

1996 XJ, electric fan cycles on-off as described on cold, just started engine. The air regulator is on 'Vent'. Is it normal too ?

Thank you,
Andrey

Back