• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble

90indyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a bad front end wobble in my 1990 XJ .The wobble starts at about 30mph and get worse as speed increases. I have adjusted my UCA and LCA to
get castor angles right and toe adjustments with no luck to eleminate this wobble in the front end. So last night I pulled the wheels off and measured the wheel base, and found out that the passenger side is 1" different(less) than the driver side . So do you think the uni-body is bent? I know the rear springs are straight. Do you think I adjust the front arms to make the difference or would that bind thing up?
1990 XJ
4.5" Rustys coils w/ ACOS at 2"
4.5" Rustys leafs w/2" add leaf
33" TSL
4.10 detroit locked front and rear

Probably not, alot of jeeps have the wheelbase off. Not to say thats good, but it doesnt seem to be a constant cause of deathwobble. How old are your steering components? Replace tie rod, drag link.. check your balljoints, rotate your tires and check the balance. Deathwobble is usually caused by something simple.. or more likely a combination of simple things.

I put 2 inch coil spacers on my 89 XJ and got a death wobble. thought my alignment was off but it wasn't. replaced the tie rods, fixed the problem.

did you get a new track bar with the ACOS or adjust the one you got now out? wheelbalance will do it, loose trackbar mount, or like thy said shitty steering components

Yea I have kevins track bar,I need to look closer at all my tie rod ends,I know the one going to the pitman arm has play in it.

If you know at least one tie rod end has play in it, you shouldnt need to ask why you have wobble. ;)

Back