• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed, reverse going?

jeepnfahey

NAXJA Forum User
I have had my 93 xj for 3 years and I think the reverse is going. It has the 2.5 four banger with the 5 speed. Some times I have to jerk it reveres for it to shift in. When I back up it drives funny, like its having a hard time. When I step on it a little in reverse I can hear shit grinding. I know that’s not a good sign. It has 163,000 on her I don’t know if it is the reverse gear or what. Any help?

Reverse is not synchro'd so it's harder to get into reverse and will sometimes grind. Shifting into a fwd gear and then immediately into reverse will stop the shafts from spinning and let reverse engage much smoother. The reverse gears are also straight cut gears which will be much noiser than the beveled forward gears, so hearing a light grinding/whirring noise under some load (ie gasing it in reverse) is normal. The differentials will also be noiser driving in reverse.

So long as it's not slipping out of gear, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it doesn't feel right driving in reverse, check your -U- joints and drive shaft for play. In the AX-15, shifting into fourth gear, then into reverse, eliminates grinding.

Back