• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel cutoff relay?

replace the relay?
Check the ballast resistor on the drivers side fender, if it's there. My 87 doesn't have one, but I understand that the dealer would put one on if someone complained about the fuel pump noise.

looks like a white block on the drivers side fender. At least that's what I've been told. I don't have one myself.
The fuel pump relay should be the second one from the front. Swap it with another one and see if you get power. I went through the whole fuel pump circuit late one night with Langer1's help.
Things to check.
Fusible links. I Believe that it was a green fusible link, with a red wire.
That should supply power to the relay at all times.
Check for power at the tank, the 12V wire should be orange. I also had another conector behind the seat in my MJ, I don't know where it would be in an XJ.
I started at the rear and worked my way forward until I found where 12V stopped.

I don't think any 87's had the ballast resistor, unless it was added later.

I think your best bet is to trace the wiring as 87Manche suggests. It shouldn't be too hard to find your way forward. Make sure you check grounds too.

I had an '87 and rolled it off a freeway after an arguement with black ice and I remember that they said something about needing to reset an automatic fuel cutoff that is enacted during a rollover. I don't now how the reset was done though. Good luck

90cherk said:
I had an '87 and rolled it off a freeway after an arguement with black ice and I remember that they said something about needing to reset an automatic fuel cutoff that is enacted during a rollover. I don't now how the reset was done though. Good luck

ditto.

There are a couple of old threads that discuss this.

Good luck searching.

Back