• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove PCM/brain? (I searched)

hellabad

NAXJA Forum User
I am splicing connectors from the Crank angle sensor to the pcm/brain. I have been spending so much time upside down that MY brain is full of blood, and I still can't get the PCM out to undo the connectors. I got one connector off in the truck, but the other just won't come off without taking the PCM out.

There must be a trick I'm missing, like I said, I am no longer thinking clearly.

Thanks very much for your help.

Jay
89 cherokee XJ, 4.0

Last edited:
Heres the screws to remove.
ecumount.jpg

Mines an 87 MJ, I took it out to clean it up.
If I remember correclty there were 2 bolts that held it in place, they were torx, maybe t-20? One at the top and one towards the firewall, once undone I wacked the bracket once and it practically fell out. My recollection may be flawed, I had been under the dash for many hours and it was 3 AM.

There are three screws and only one is easy to get too. The other two are a pain in the ass as they are really in a tight spot towards the firewall. They are 1/4" head screws or 6mm (not certain) and it takes many minutes upside down in the floorboard using a socket and extension while blindly trying to get the socket onto the screws. Removing your drivers seat will help you get a better angle.

The TORX screws are the four that hold the two halves of the ECU housing together, and four more inside that hold the ECU motherboard in place.

I removed mine last week to get that 1/4 cup of water out of it. It was causing my 1989 XJ to shut off similar to CPS issues.

Back