• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 noise

Pat

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am on manual transmissions can help me here...

I'm getting a high-speed (maybe as fast as engine RPM?), high-pitched grinding while accelerating. It has happened in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. As far as I can tell, it sounds like its coming from the transmission. This doesn't happen every time I take off, but was happening a lot more tonight than over the weekend. When I first heard the noise, it seemed like it was happening under typical acceleration, to keep up with city traffic. Tonight, it was happening under very light acceleration.

There are times when I feel like I can duplicate the problem on command, and others when I can't generate the noise at all.

ANY ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited:
sounds like the rear end. mopar8 1/4 is known for noise/vibes. or a pinion bearing.pull cover and inspect, also change fluids

skyjackedxj96 said:
sounds like the rear end. mopar8 1/4 is known for noise/vibes. or a pinion bearing.pull cover and inspect, also change fluids

i'd agree if it didn't sound like it was coming from the transmission. i've experienced and continue to experience various 8.25 noises...

my AX-15 makes that noise is every gear, and it is throttle dependent. More throttle the worse the noise is. A bearing on the input shaft is bad in mine. Try this
Put it in neutral, release the clutch, see if you get the noise.
Put it in gear, roll it down a hill with the clutch in and see if it makes noise.
If you get noise in both situations then it's something that's on the input shaft.
If you get noise when you roll it down a hill, but nothing in neutral then it's deeper in the trans.

87manche said:
my AX-15 makes that noise is every gear, and it is throttle dependent. More throttle the worse the noise is. A bearing on the input shaft is bad in mine. Try this
Put it in neutral, release the clutch, see if you get the noise.
Put it in gear, roll it down a hill with the clutch in and see if it makes noise.
If you get noise in both situations then it's something that's on the input shaft.
If you get noise when you roll it down a hill, but nothing in neutral then it's deeper in the trans.

there is no noise in neutral, and the moment i push the clutch in, the grinding noise stops...

a noise that changes with the clutch is usually a throwout bearing. You're gonna have to take the trans off so you can inspect.

87manche said:
a noise that changes with the clutch is usually a throwout bearing. You're gonna have to take the trans off so you can inspect.

pretty sure I'm going to have to pull the transmission. not what i want to be doing 1 week before winterfest...

anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Just one final suggestion, if you can push the pedal a little way, and feel when the throwout bearing begins to push on the clutch but hasn't yet stopped the input shaft of the transmission. You might be able to separate the throwout bearing sound from the tranny sound. If it's the throwout bearing, and if it stops when the clutch is pushed down, it should stop partway down, before the tranny stops. If it doesn't change until the tranny stops, then it's probably not the throwout. Either way ends up eventually with the tranny out, but I think a throwout bearing might be less urgent.

Back