• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cell service recommendation?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Who do you how do you like them? Sprint really pissed me off today and I think I will give them the boot today! So my options are cingular and verizon. My biggest limiting factor I think is the fact that I want a bluetooth phone that's not a flip phone (camera would be nice too). ANyways servicewise: anyone has any complaints about either one?

I carry two phones, as you know. One is cingular, one is verizon.

I give verizon hands down the best service, at least, since the time of the cingular/at&t merger. If i were going to shop for new service today, my consideration in order would be:

tmobile
verizon
cingular

-C

I've always had good experience with T-Mobile customer service. Their coverage is OK (IIRC it rides on same network as Cingular in the western US). T-Mo has had some generous plans -- mine is $39.95 for 1000 minutes w free nights and weekends and only a 1 year contract.

check out howardforums.com - it's a phone geek website with forums covering each major service provider and phone mfrs

seanR said:
They all suck!
I have two also, Nextel and Verizon
Where one won't work, the other does.
Sean: how well did your verizon phone work @ Moab? Did it work on their national plan (as in free roaming?)

You might already know this but stay the hell away from Nextel. Im ready to cancel and im willing to pay the $200 cancelation fee. by far the worst reception and even worse customer service.Ive Been a Nextel customer for 6 years and have got 0 respect whenever ive called 611.

ruggedjeep said:
You might already know this but stay the hell away from Nextel. Im ready to cancel and im willing to pay the $200 cancelation fee. by far the worst reception and even worse customer service.Ive Been a Nextel customer for 6 years and have got 0 respect whenever ive called 611.
well nextel = sprint now and sprint is on my shit list........ so no worries, I"m gonna steer far away from them!

Personally I would stay away from Cingular. Their customer service sucks. My wife works as a customer service rep for Cingular, and even she says they suck. They are regulated by policies and procedures which are ever changing.

I have T-mobile and am satisfied with it thusfar. Their plans are excellent, their customer service is good, and their coverage is ever growing.

If I had to get another carrier though, it would most likely be Verizon. Their Customer Service is the best, and their coverage is Excellent. Their plans are a little more expensive that the rest, but is worth it by far.

But as usual that is only my $.02

step up to the plate and go SATphone.

Kejtar said:
TMobile users: how is the service out in the boonies? Calico? Desert? Moab? Other middle of nowhere places?

The boonies?! I can't get T-Moron service in the middle of a fawkin city!

50% of North County S.D. is a nogo. The I-5 corridor is a no go at the same rate, which is the same as I-15. The phone almost went out the window this past weekend!
I've had pages show up 24 hours later.

Oops, almost forgot. The last trip to JV = craaap! Corral Canyon = nope! I don't even turn it on in Anza Borrego, I don't want to know.

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
Sean: how well did your verizon phone work @ Moab? Did it work on their national plan (as in free roaming?)
Nextel worked at SRCG and around town.
Verizon worked better out in the boonies.
I use the Nextel 90% of the time
But, the Verizon will work every where.
I only have a basic plan on the Verizon, 300 min, no roaming. I have never used all of the mins on the Verizon.
I have unlimited Cell, two way, text, and internet on the Nextel and it is only $110.00/month.
It is one of twelve phones on my business account.

I have Verizon. I've had them for rour years and will be re-uping with them again soon. They have the largest coverage area, remember that call last year from some dummy in the middle of nowhere stuck in the snow? Verizon.

I have had Nextel as a work phone, THEY SUCK:exclamati No coverage, dropped calls, minimal features. I don't know how the price was, IMHO $0 would have been too much.

TIM

Cingular blows ass!

If Verizon had a 'geek' phone that would have worked for me I would have gone with Verizon above all the others.

I like T-Mobile (about as much as I can "like" cellular mobile telephony. There are a total of six people who have the number to my 'phone - I have to count the Air Force as a "person." I'm related to the rest, and all understand that if you call me, you'd better be on fire...)

I've got the "pay as you go" plan that runs me about $8 a month, on average. I use my 'phone less than I use the phone at home, and I typically answer neither. I also don't have voicemail on my 'phone.

I reactivated a Treo 270 that I'd gotten for free under T-Mobile service (who was the original provider anyhow) and I like the Treo because it replaces the Visor Prism I typically carry - which saves me the trouble of carrying a 'phone AND a PDA.

However, this opinion may be of limited utility to you - I have very little use for "creature features" and even less for cell phones...

5-90

T-Mo service is pretty good up the 14 & 395 to few miles past Mammoth. I had service at the pavement in JV but not on the dry lake, Tahoe area is good, but not out around Ice House Rd. Around Trona...fuhgettaboutit.

Around the 15, like Calico, is probably pretty good, look in here:
http://t-mobile.com/coverage/Default.asp

If the best coverage is your priority, go with Verizon.
If price is important, probably T-Mo.

Kejtar said:
got verizon... and a really cool phone.... spent too much money though :(

Same number?

1-866-ME-POLISH

I havent had any problems with Verizon other than my frusterating expierence in switching phones - which used to be free, now costs like $50 for them to do everything...

Back