• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" 5" what do I need?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
well, so I'm sitting at ~4" (tomken leaf pack) in the rear and ~3.5" (up country coils and a spacer) in the front. In any case I started to think...... since I'll want to even out somehow I might as well consider doing front and rear..... so what if I do longer shackle in the rear and then look into a longer coil for the front. Also, what bout double stacking the spacers? I think someone said a while ago that a 3" coil + 2 spacers works good....

In any case, I need to start making a list of what else I'll need. I know that I will need longer shocks, longer brake lines.... trackbar (?), and how high can I go without having to mess with the arms??

I don't mind sitting higher in the rear then the front as the front has pretty nicely opened up fenders :D so if that gets me away without having to deal with some of the stuff up front that'd be great....

Kejtar

Okay - within the last few months I went from 3/3.5 to 4.5. Not saying this is the perfect way to do it but.... this is my recent experience.

For starters, didn't mess with the shocks - had already replaced them for the 3.5".

In the rear, I already had a 3" full length RE AAL w/MJ shackles, and changed to 2" shackles. This netted me 4.5" in the back. Did change out rear brake line - put in a YJ one for the 3.5", then went to the SS extension (But, not sure this was necessary though). What I DID have a problem with was the slip yoke - not vibes - but at extreme droop, there was not enough clearance at the ears. You can either grind out the ears a bit, or just replace (as I did) with a YJ slip yoke. (I should mention that I have a 5 speed D/S and a D44 in the back - different set-ups affect geometry differently, you'll have to look). At the moment, the parking brake lines look OK, but are stretched pretty good - may consider moving the mounting points on the tunnel back a bit and lengthening the threaded rod.

In the front, had 3" coils with a half inch spacer, just put in 4.5" coils. Already had an adjustable HD track bar and mount. Didn't like what the 4.5" finally did to my wheelbase, so I bit the bullet and replaced some fixed length skyjacker LCA and the stock UCA with a full set of adjustable Uppers and Lowers to get back to 101.4

Front D/S and 231 are fine and do not need to be touched.

Also don't notice any issue with the front brake lines (although, as part of the SS set I have them, if necessary).

Now have 32x11.50 MTRs on 15x8 4.5bs wheels - no issues yet with rubbing, although I am watching the inner liners in the front if trimming might be needed.

Seemed like I could get away with basic stuff up through 3.5, but going over 4 pushed me into a different zone.

Good Luck.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

ok, the yoke shouldn't be an issue since I did the RE hack and tap SYE....

Now in regards to your front.... how much did did the axle get pulled back? (kind of a guesstimate...)

Thanks
Kejtar

IIRC, when the dust settled on the 4.5" lift with the "stock" CA's, she was sitting around 99.8 (about an inch and a half shorter). Tires (31's at that time) were getting much too close to the wheelwell.

I will tell you this though, it wasn't like I just lengthened the LCA's an inch and a half. Not quite sure how the geometry works, but ended up using the chart that (I think) XJeeper posted a month or so ago for a 4.5" lift. I think it was actually a 3/4 or 7/8 adjustment on the LCA's, not much adjustment on the UCA's was needed (mainly just to fine tune caster and pinion angle).

Yep - Different source, but the numbers look familiar. Jeff also gave the triangle philosophy behind it all (probably an April or early May thread).

Actually, I did extend the UCA a bit at 4.5" - not for a wheelbase correction, but for pinion angle-caster adjustment. Now THAT was another Mod Tech thread of a couple of months ago, MaXJohnson has the definitive say on that arcane subject!

It's all here, no need to go anywhere else on the Net for XJ stuff, right? :D

Back