• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Exploded!!

Natural Ice

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend was driving down the road and pop, crunch, grind, her transfer case exploded. The chain is still attached to the front driveshaft its just not in the case anymore! We need to fix it cheap. How hard would it be to remove the case and run 2wd until she can get another transfer case. Also what other parts may be affected. I dont want to blow up a new t case because it wasn't the problem.

can't run it in 2wd. The trans doesn't have the rght output to go to a slip yoke.
You're pretty much stuck finding a new T-case before you can drive it.
car-part.com
might be useful in finding one.
Als, verify which one you have. there should be a red tag on the back of the t-case that has it's model number. It will be a 231 or 242, unless it's older than 86.
Also, there were some spline count changes, so if you want any more help finding one you need to post your engine/trans and model year.

Check out www.bmja.org for sale forum, there are some 231's in there all the time.

wow, for such a relatively new vehicle, i'm curious as to how it blewd up? How many miles do you have on the Jeep?

It has 120k miles and has had a vibration/humming I thought was the front diff since a fuzzy night at Yankee Lake. If you're from northeast Ohio/northwest PA you might know how that happens.

sounds like the frotn CV joint is shot and caused the TC to bind up......I have fixed 2 for guys recently. It causes the front Drivers side fo the case to blow out........if you have a vibration coming from the front check it out!

at what height lift should something be done like new driveshaft and a selectable hub kit. 6''? i am scared to run a front driveshaft untill i do the warn kit. is this how yours exploded?

I had one do it to me a while back, driving down the hwy and had major vibes for about 2 seconds, then crash bang pop. The case broke in half. My cause was a bad CV in the front driveline, it binded and caused the case to break in half. Now on another note, I have an np231 out of my 98 XJ I am trying to sell for $200. Its in perfect condidtion, It was professionally rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. I took it out to swap in an np242. If you are interested you can look into what it would cost to ship it from Texas, 76052. Let me know.

Hayden

skyjackedxj96 said:
at what height lift should something be done like new driveshaft and a selectable hub kit. 6''? i am scared to run a front driveshaft untill i do the warn kit. is this how yours exploded?

lift height has nothing to do with it........ya gotta maintain your junk!

take the front shaft out and inspect it for wear.....

She didn't happen to have it in 4wd at the time did she? Just curious...
Jeep on!
--Pete

I removed the front drive shaft (along with the attached parts of the case) and cut the chain off the rear so I could at least move it around our property and it seems to drive pretty good. How long could it run like that? We need to make it 'till tax money comes back.

Back