• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine difference from a 92 to a 03

tony597fitter

NAXJA Forum User
I can get a great deal on a 03 4.0 longblock out of a grand cherokee with everything on it. I was wondering what the difference is between the 92 to the 03. When I say everything I mean from water pump to fuel injection. It is out of a gc that was totaled out here from hail damage and my buddy works at the yard that has it. Will everything plug in? Iam not sue about the wiring but it really isnt a big deal because on my 92 everything works great it is just a high miler and knocks like a diesel.

i'm not sure of all the differences but a few i know are the newest 4.0's don't use spark plugs or wires or even a distributer i dont' think, they use coil packs instead i believe. They also have a different exhaust manifold, newer ones have a 2 piece design which is cast iron and goes 3 cylinders to each piece. i believe they also have a different emmisions setup in the computer because i think, that is, i think they have multiple O2 sensors and cats. other than that i'm not sure.

eric

nope,

the TJ's and WJ's are still coming out of the factory with 4.0's in them. the only thing that got that hunk of a 3.7 was the liberty.

eric

In 96 there was a totally new computer, engine control system and wiring harness, and in 00 there was the distributorless ignition that has one coil on each cylinder. So I guess you'll have to transfer all the wires and sensors from the 03..

Back