• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 cyl./v-6

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Did Jeep Cherokee's ever come stock with a v-6 (I think a chevy v-6) early on in production, and if so, what years. Also, what year did the 4 cylinders start coming out?

84-86 for the 2.8L V-6 (run away fast)

4 bngrs were out since 84...carb'd until 85-early 86? TBI until 1990 and then MPI until 1999 (I blieve there were no 4 bngrs in 00 or 01)

According to the years you gave me, this makes sense then, as far as the years go. Listen to this.
A good friend of mine and myself were looking at an '86 xj he just acquired from his Dad, a hand-me-down. His Dad bought the thing brand new in '86, we remember the day he brought it home. It came with the four cylinder engine, yet we just realized that it has always had a "2.8L V-6" emblem on the lower edge of the rear hatch. Its been in the family 'till this day, never been messed with, just always been his Dads work vehicle. Dealer goof up, or maybe factory goof up?? Interesting, if anything.

Could very well be...happens more than most folks realize.

Had a friend with an early 90's 1/2 ton dodge ram. Had the 360 V-8 in it BUT one emblem on it said V-10...came from the factory that way.

We just got an 06 RAM 1500 in at the dealership the other day with HEMI badges on the fenders. Opened the hood to find a 3.7 V6. Theres a dissapointment.

043500 said:
(I blieve there were no 4 bngrs in 00 or 01)

Close - 4-cylinder XJs were available in 2000, but were dropped for 2001.

some times things like that are funny, there might be a "Hemi-appearance package" or somthing like that and you never know, the last years AMC was in business they'd just slap anything they had onto what they were assembling, if they were out of 2.5 badges they would slap a 2.8 one on there rather than leave a hole.

Back