• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non-club Panamints run

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
The Death Valley season is quickly ending and need to get out there at least once this year. We're putting together a run to the Panamints March 31st - April 2nd.

Leave OC March 31st from Tustin Ranch at 9AM. Pick up some in Anaheim Hills and some others in Corona and then out to Trona Pinacles. After the Pinacles, lunch in Trona and out to our base camp/ghost town.

Friday afternoon, a run up to Lookout City, another ghost town with some good wheeling on the way.

Saturday would be Pleasant Canyon Loop, taking all day and getting more good wheeling and history in.

Sunday would be the semi - ghost town of Darwin and home via the 395.

Two rigs for sure are going and all is very family friendly.

Camping will be very primative, but if we secure an AAC we'll at least have a shitter all weekend.

RSVP or hit me with questions.

gcurtis said:
Leave OC March 31st from Tustin Ranch at 9AM. Pick up some in Anaheim Hills and some others in Corona and then out to Trona Pinacles. After the Pinacles, lunch in Trona and out to our base camp/ghost town.
And for those of us coming from another direction, where exactly is the "base camp?"

Friday afternoon, a run up to Lookout City, another ghost town with some good wheeling on the way.
I may come out Thursday evening and set up camp and meet you at the Pinnacles.

Saturday would be Pleasant Canyon Loop, taking all day and getting more good wheeling and history in.
Fun FUN loop.

Sunday would be the semi - ghost town of Darwin and home via the 395.
Where's Darwin?

Camping will be very primative, but if we secure an AAC we'll at least have a shitter all weekend.
AAC?

The big question is... will it be motorhome friendly?

Hey Andy, this may help.

We'd base out of Minnetta mine adopt a cabin (AAC) if we can get it, but they are first come first served. Yes, it would be motorhome friendly, and if the road to Minnetta is too rough there is motorhome parking a quarter mile away at the intersection of Minnetta Rd and Panamint Rd.

If you came out Thursday, I'd bribe you to put up the flag at Minnetta so we could reserve the cabin.

Darwin is at the 395 and the road from Panamint Springs Resort.

Did I miss anything?

Hope to see you out there!

gcurtis said:
We'd base out of Minnetta mine adopt a cabin (AAC) if we can get it,
You mean this one?
DCP_2661.jpg

DCP_2662.jpg

DCP_2663.jpg

DCP_2664.jpg

Really well kept place. Not as homey as Briggs Mine Cabin, but still very nice.

but they are first come first served.
Have you got a plan B in case there's already somebody there?

Yes, it would be motorhome friendly, and if the road to Minnetta is too rough there is motorhome parking a quarter mile away at the intersection of Minnetta Rd and Panamint Rd.
Panamint Road or Nadeau Rd.? According to Mr. GPS, it's 4.5 miles as the crow flies to Panamint Road from Miinieta mine. If I remember, the cabin is not terribly far from the mine.

If you came out Thursday, I'd bribe you to put up the flag at Minnetta so we could reserve the cabin.
Oh yeah? What's her name?

Hope to see you out there!
I just may join you if Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers doesn't have that weekend scheduled for trail building.

p.s. Here are the rest of the photos from that Panamint Valley run.

Last edited:
definately interested but would have to meet up with the group on Friday nite.

Andy, I may have misspoke, it may be Nadeau Rd, but I don't have a map handy to check. I'll dig one out later.

That intersection (the last road before you go up to the mine) is well graded and flat, with plenty of spots to park the bus.

If we can't do Minnetta then I'll opt for Osborne, one canyon away, or head the other direction... towards the Panamint crater and one of the other cabins. Worst case scenero is we just make camp in the middle of no where (it is BLM land).

That'd be great if you want to meet us at the Pinnacles... great little dive for lunch afterwards.

fish1976 said:
What type of runs are you looking at? Any special modifications for the rigs?

Stockers wouldn't be a good idea. Min of 3" lift and 31" or better tire. Open diffs are fine. Tow points front and rear, first aid, seat belts, tow strap, fire extinguisher in working order and parking brake required. Must also have knowledge, tools and parts to fix your own rig if it comes to that; please don't rely on others to haul you off of the mountain. If you have a Dana 35 in the rear, please bring all parts to trail fix it.

A few years back I stayed at the Minnetta Cabin, very nice. I also took my (then) new F150 up to the Defense mine. There are lots of mines and trails on the west side of the valley (Argus Range.)

Another alternative to the Minnetta and Briggs cabins is the World Beater Mine Cabin up Pleasant Canyon on the terraces above the Y where the WBM switchbacks start (take the left to Rodgers pass and the normal Middle/South Park loops). The WBM cabin is not as big as the other two but there is lots of flat room for rigs (although it's very rocky for outside sleeping on the ground). I believe these cabins received solar power late last year (as part of the AAC volunteer improvements).

An XJ on 31's should have no problem on most of these trails. The exceptions are seasonal and known difficult trails. Goler Wash and Pleasant / Parks loop trails are usually in the stocker with 31's capability range (if someone with lockers has a strap).

If you plan to enter the valley through Mengel Pass (Goler & Striped Bute to Warm Springs) there is a Talc Mine just east of the Warm Springs complex that has a very large flat terrace that can hold a large group (and flat ground for tent campers). This makes a nice stop for in & out or an overnight loop run from Ballarat to Furnace Creek & back.

When do you plan to solidify the run/trail locations?

Ed A. Stevens said:
When do you plan to solidify the run/trail locations?

Run locations are solidified, Ed.

We'll be staying in the Argus Range at Minnetta or Osborne Cabins. Running Lookout City on Friday afternoon, Pleasant Canyon on Saturday and Darwin falls on Sunday. Argus is easy access to Panamint Springs Resort for gas and beer... er... supplies and easy for everyone to find, being near the road.

We won't be going into Death Valley proper, so no runs up Goler/Mengal. The only tough spots might be on the rock face up to Lookout City or in Pleasant Canyon, especially if we encounter snow or another "washout" caused by Rocky's relatives (they seemingly have a hit and miss relationship with wheelers).

An XJ on 31's would require a lift (unless heavily trimmed) which is why I'm requiring 31's AND 3" of lift... they go hand in hand. I'll be locked front and rear with 31's (unless I go to 33's by then) and have done these trails without issue. The reason I'm requiring rigs be modified a certain amount is we've tried taking stockers on runs and it becomes an exercise in "hook up and drag... drag some more... drag more still" to have them keep up with the group, and I'm not willing to sacrafice the fun of all involved because of one rig. So, the "no stockers" rule applies. ;)

Ed A. Stevens said:
(as part of the AAC volunteer improvements).

Oh yeah, Ed, as I'm sure you are well aware, the AAC program, as of now is no longer. So publicizing improvements is kinda on the QT, as is publicizing locations of the cabins. ;)

In case you aren't aware, it all stems from the Silver Swan/White Swan claims near Darwin (we'll be visiting there as well) and a miner who wasn't within compliance and didn't have a patented claim. She purchased the "claims" as her retirement home and didn't keep up on the paperwork, but they basically remained abandoned and were picked up by the AAC program. Now she is after the BLM Ridgecrest office for support of the AAC program, essentially claiming a "claim jumping" of sorts.

If you check any of the "Friends Of..." sites, you'll notice that they are all down.

I'm gonna have to bail on this one:gonnablow

Headed up to Morro Bay for my parent's 45th wedding anniversary.

Is the run still on? Not a lot of chatter the last couple of weeks.

John

Back