• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my rusted through roof

take out your head cover inside. remove all the rubber from around the window. Take a drimmil and cut out all the rusted places. Take screen door(the metel kind not the other cheesy stuff) and get some JBweld. use a basic apoxy, dosn't matter what brand, and use that to hold the screen in place from the inside, making sure to form the screen. Then after that dies mix up the jbweld and start filling it in. I used JBweld as bondo will give to much and you might crack your window later on. Once the JB sets and hardens sand and paint. I got that from one of the really good body shops here in town. And as soon as the weather permitts I'll be doing that in three places around my window. Oh make sure to put something inside so if any jbwield falls through the sire mesh it wont fall on you interior. The other way is the donor jeep, but if you do not or cannot wield then that method is out of the question, like me.

If you do weld you can make your own patch pieces out of whatever metal you like that's thick enough, but it's a nasty job making little patches and having them look good, and of course you'll have to remove the headliner and maybe the windshield too. One possibility where there is access from behind is to weld the patches on to the back side of the surface. You can then grind the weld flat, and fill the shallow crater with bondo. This leaves a little margin for error in forming the metal, and if the patches are overlaid, they also need not be cut so precisely. If you have a torch you can braze them instead of welding. Brazed patches will seal well without pinholes, and need less heat.

I've done repairs like this in the past, but must confess that on my current XJ the rust holes in the roof are patched with duct tape.

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i have the same problems. however, patching my spots since they are so little would be tideious, so i really dont want to do that. is there some type of body filler that will bond to the remaining metal and be close to as strong as it?

well this is jsut an idea...

take a peice of metal. cut it to the right shape and size..
take some apoxy...SLOP it on the back of the peice of metal... place to whereever you would like to cover... allow to set. then fill the top side with bondo. let dry sand and paint

red90xj said:
well this is jsut an idea...

take a peice of metal. cut it to the right shape and size..
take some apoxy...SLOP it on the back of the peice of metal... place to whereever you would like to cover... allow to set. then fill the top side with bondo. let dry sand and paint
where would you put the metal, on the top of the hole or back. wouldnt it now have a raised piece of metal on it?

that will probably work for above the drip rails, but i also have a rust spot almost all the way through on the corner of the roof in the front driver side. dunno what to do with that one.

Back