• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster Erratic

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
I have read all the information on the bad grounds to the "A" connector on the instrument cluster. I have a '96 XJ Classic with the high line cluster. Only the speedo, tach, and fuel gauges act weird. In really cold weather and when hitting a bump, the needles bounce all over. On the connector, B2 goes to a foil trace that is labeled "LG" and goes to all the problem gauges. I guess this is the ground line. A8 goes to the fuse and feeds only these gauges and the voltmeter. It reads 11.74 volts. There is also a trace on the circuit board labeled "GND" and is the common for all the light bulbs and the other gauges. It goes to terminal A3.
My question is what is the difference between the LG and GND lines other than the different wires and pins. Can I just run a wire from the LG trace to a good ground? I have cleaned both the connector and pins and the problem persists. Obviously, the problem is somewhere else in the circuit.
For the technically savvy, LG reads 3.7 ohms to ground and GND reads 2.2 ohms to ground. The ground is the metal behind the cluster.

Back