• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny leak

91Limited

NAXJA Forum User
ok i tried to search on this and came up with nothing, which surprised me so i probably didnt search good enough but i am looking for a fast answer...

91 XJ 4.0/AW4/Np242

well starting the other day my tranny started leaking onto the exhaust and making a really bad smell. :wierd: I havent lost too much fluid, but its about 5-10 drips every trip i take. The tranny is coated in a fluid/dirt/grime substance, i dont know how much of that has come from the tranny. But the bad part about this is it makes it hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Also, there is a white milky substance at the end of my tranny dipstick. Is this dirt, water? And, in the middle front of the tranny, about the same position that the oil pan drain plug is, there is a (i think threaded?) hole. I'm guessing this isnt the tranny drain plug hole as fluid isnt gushing out, but is this hole supposed to be plugged? and if so, with what kind of bolt? (specifically what length?)

my transmission has always shifted perfectly and has never done anything bad. It still feels like its in good shape, so i would really like to just repair, not replace. please help

Middle front of the trany has an unplugged hole? Sounds more like the bellhousing to me.

Is it at 6 o'clock on this pic?
aw4_1.jpg

If it's dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing (see Yucca-man's pic), and then drips on the exhaust where the pipe crossses from driver to passenger side, then this doesn't sound like a trans leak, it's more likely an engine rear main seal (or valve cover gasket).

When this happens, the trans pan tends to get coated with oil and pick up crud as a result.

Don't know about the stuff on the dipstick, if it got some moisture in it, you might want to do a fluid change pronto.

Can you photograph and post it?

yeah i think it is bellhousing, thanks

a valve cover gasket will make it leak down there? because i do have the infamous leaky valve cover and would be quite happy if that was all the problem was...

so i guess this has turned into 2 problems...trans and oil leak, white in the trans fluid is water right? A trans flush and new fluid are in order (even though ive heard that new trans fluid will just expose leaks and maybe be bad for the tranny...looks like i dont have much of a choice.)

any more suggestions on the oil leak would be appreciated...is there supposed to be a bolt in that 6 o'clock hole in the bellhousing?

If it's leaking from the bottom left corner of the bellhousing (in the above pic) then the clamp that holds the cooling lines to the bellhousing has worn through the steel and the oil is squirting out (just fixed that on my '91 and did several others in the past with the same prob. Quick fix is tubing cutting and 2 line couplers. Either 5/16" or 3/8". Just remove the 3/8" or so of bad line and put the couplers in!

Leaky valve cover, leaky rear main seal and even leaky oil filter adapter will all blow back onto the rear of the block, leaking across the exhaust. Wash it and watch where the oil starts to appear.

Milk in the tranny fluid...not necessarily a good thing.

91Limited said:
is there supposed to be a bolt in that 6 o'clock hole in the bellhousing?

Yes, but all it does is hold down the inspection cover. No big.

I'd replace the VC gasket, clean things up good, and watch.

Obvious question here... What color is the oil leak? Red like trans fluid or brown/black like motor oil? If the back of the block is wet, it's probably the typical valve cover leak.

Back