• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tachometer not working and another problem

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
ok since I got my transfercase problem resolved I took my cherokee wheelin and I got stuck in some real soupy mudd. My engine bogged down and finally shut off (I think because my exshaust pipe was under the watter/mudd), my buddy was only able to pull me out from the rear, he got me out but my enging sounded like crap, it would idal ok but as soon as I tryed to drive it it would die. Finally, it just wouldn't start at all...it would crank but not start, so I called a towtruck and he towed me home (thank god for free road side assistance)...and well once I got home I jumped in again and tryed to start it....it started great and drove fine! I was amazed and releaved, but I want to know what would cause this problem for future avoidence.

now on to the tach problem, ever since getting home from that trip my tach isn't reading anything...how can I fix this?

sounds like to me that you got water in more places than just your exhaust. You sure the motor did'nt take in a gulp?

sound to me like you got the engine wet and probably submerged the air box and starved it for air.. how deep were you stuck? probably luck you didnt suck water into the cylinder.. it doesnt take much liquid to blow the side right out of the block.... sorry i cant help with the tach issue..
mike

well that's the weird thing my front end was way above the water, I don't have an air box, it's the rocket power air tube and that goes over the top of my engine and that was covered with a vacume filter (neet corney idea i came up with but it keeps mudd and dirt out of the filter) and it was dry....so yeah that's why I'm so confused about it. I did cut my exhaust to the muffler and the hanger I made came off so it was hanging kinda low, so I re-hung the muffler...but as it seems everthing's fine, and atchually it feels like I have MORE power now, weird and unlikely I know, but before when I put my 32's I couldn't even squeek the tires at full throttle arround a corner, now I can whip my back end! As for my tach, soon after I wrote the first message it just started to work again, LOL it's a self-healing jeep!!

you probably got a little water in your distributer. next time, pop off the cap and either wipe it off or spray a little wd-40 in there. should fire it up every time.

Back