• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not getting enough throw (manual tranny prblm)

blue_flip

NAXJA Forum User
so i recently changed my Pugeot tranny in my 87 XJ, for an AX-15 and now i am not getting enough throw out of the slave cylinder to engage the throwout bearing into the flex plate. What can i do with out getting a new flex plate???

Already bled the hell out of the slave cylynder.

montanaman said:
maybe a '92 or later clutch master cylinder would fix that?

What is the pressure plate ... is it for the Peugeot or AX15?
the clutch is for the pugeot
and i did buy a slave/master cylinder combo new from JEEP
the guy at the dealership parts department said the i could make a new pin setup to move the throw out "arm" (what is the official name of this?)
closer to the flex plate, is the recomended or should i spring the $120 for the new flex plate?

(the flex plate is the only thing that changed from pugeot to AX-15.)

Hello, I recently had the exact same conversion done (the peugot to AX15) on my '89 at a local shop that specializes in jeep conversions. When it was first done I found the exact same symptoms, hard to engage (especially into first) and it seemed like the throw long wasn't enough. The problem turned out to be that the clutch pedal and mechanism itself was so worn that it wasn't activating the cylinder until the pedal was essentially almost down to the floor.

In my case they examined the entire clutch pedal assembly and linkage and (short of replacing it) welded up the sections that caused the loose play so it would activate the cyclinder as soon as the pedal was pressed. Same cylinder as the Peugot used.

However, they did replace the clutch entirely also so maybe there is another problem in your case.

Once that was done it made all the difference, problem gone. Then I replaced the stock shifter with a B&M unit and it is MUCH easier to shift.

Next step is Synthetic tranny fluid then I think the conversion will be done.

Just a thought anyway....

ubstung71 said:
Hello, I recently had the exact same conversion done (the peugot to AX15) on my '89 at a local shop that specializes in jeep conversions. When it was first done I found the exact same symptoms, hard to engage (especially into first) and it seemed like the throw long wasn't enough. The problem turned out to be that the clutch pedal and mechanism itself was so worn that it wasn't activating the cylinder until the pedal was essentially almost down to the floor.

In my case they examined the entire clutch pedal assembly and linkage and (short of replacing it) welded up the sections that caused the loose play so it would activate the cyclinder as soon as the pedal was pressed. Same cylinder as the Peugot used.

However, they did replace the clutch entirely also so maybe there is another problem in your case.

Once that was done it made all the difference, problem gone. Then I replaced the stock shifter with a B&M unit and it is MUCH easier to shift.

Next step is Synthetic tranny fluid then I think the conversion will be done.

Just a thought anyway....

yeha i think you maybe still running the internal slave in that year, see i have the external slave so i cant just push the pedal farther, like i said i need to move the throwout closer to the flex plate.
I really dont have enough money to spring for the new flexplate, (nor do i have the tools to replace a clutch)

but i need a quick and strong fix.

congrats on your conversion though!!!!!!
test it and tell me how it runs, i am really curious the differance between the two trannys.

Back