• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky caliper

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
as I was driving home my brakes started fade away to the point that I had to put it to the floor to stop. after checking everything out, I found that the front right brake hose, where it connects to the caliper is leaking. I tooke it off, and cleaned both surfaces and retightened it, it was really tight on their and it still leaked. What can I do? is their some sort of sealent I should use?

There is supposed to be a soft copper washer on each side of the block that the hollow bolt mounts onto the caliper. The bolt goes through both: starting at the bolt head and running down to the caliper, the attachment should be bolt head, copper washer, junction block, copper washer, caliper. You need the soft copper washers: they deform easliy and create the seal, and they will hold the pressure, and they deform without overtightening the hollow mounting bolt. Should be a cheap and easy fix! you might want to inspect the rubber brake line while you are there, would be easy time to replace it if worn. You probably have air in the line now, pulled back in when you lifted your foot off the brake. Bleeding that one circuit will likley be needed.

The fix to your problem is you need to go get some copper washers everytime the banjo connection is unbolted you have to get new washers or else it will leak. Theres one on each side once you get new washers your problem should go away.

No sealant.

Check at your local parts house, and see if they have crush washers for that banjo fitting. It seals by using two "dead soft" copper washers (one on either side of the fitting,) and if those washers are somehow damaged, the fitting will leak.

Also check to see precisely where it's leaking - it may be that the crimp between the hose and the banjo is finally going, and the hose may want replacing. I'd suggest you change both of them while you're about it (since you'll have to bleed the brakes anyhow,) and open the boxes to make sure there are two copper washers included with each hose before you pay for them - sometimes, they're not there.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you reuse those washers. I'd have to find another source for spares myself...

5-90

I knew this would be an easy fix, the two soft copper washers, I had both of them on the outside, and once I put the one back where its supposed to be it stopped, thanks guys

Back