• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Trim, The RUB Strips on the Doors

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,
What is the Proper Nomenclature for the Black Rubber Strips glued onto the lower part of the outside of the doors. These are the broad rubber strips on the Outside of the Door, for preventing scuffs from opening doors. (I am not talking about weather strips in the door jambs that seal out the rain and wind. Its on the lower trim level models of the XJ, and typically fall off. I've searched and cannot find replacements available anywhere.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong name? Anyone know the proper Name and/or a Source to purchase replacements?

Not trying to hijack the thread but what do you use to install these? I used heavy duty double sided tape and it heald for about 3 days and then fell off.

my65289stang said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but what do you use to install these? I used heavy duty double sided tape and it heald for about 3 days and then fell off.

you need to use 3M double sided tape ( the grey or black stuff) for the automotive applications. It will work very well it is kinda finicky but as long as your prep is spot on it will hold for a very long time. You can look into a body shop or an auto paint supplier and they should have the stuff you need in all kinds of sizes

I don't now about MD but the chemicals used on the roads in winter in MN find their way behind the these and all molding and rot the surface from behind it. Being a MN company you think 3M would have a solution

I know you want to retain the moldings, but a lot of people take them off altogether. I held on to mine as long as possible, but then just ripped them off.

I sprayed the lower body with Duplicolor spray-on bedliner. If it gets scratched, it's very easy to retouch. Now I actually like the way it looks without the molding.

Back