• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature gauge malfunction

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Guys and gals,

I have a 1984, 2.5 lt XJ with the full instrument cluster (no idiot lights). Oh yes, it is US specs, with temperature in degrees F and miles etc.

My temperature gauge was not moving above the blue zone at left, since the day I got it. I thought that a new temperature sending unit would cure the problem, so after paying 30 US$ to the local DC, I got one (part number 53005056) and installed it this morning. Well, the needle moved a little bit after the blue zone and that was it. I tried it with the aircon on (mind you this one does not have an auxilliary fan for the aircon, is it normal?) and driving up a steep hill, also a little bit around the house, but not in heavy traffic.

I assume that since the sending unit is OK (new), there is a problem with the temperature gauge. Would you agree? Can it be adjusted? Can it be changed?

Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated.

Rgds

are you using srtaightt water? cause water has a lower boiling point and may not activate sensor
the problem may be caused by a grounded wire between the sending unit and the temp gauge. if not and replaced sending unit. maybe faulty ignition switch.

OK, mine goes the other way. just bought a 91' w/ the 4.0 and it goes into the red zone. Granted it is HOT here in Texas, but my buddy put in water pump, flush, thermostat, fan clutch, and a sending unit. Not sure of the mix, but he knows enough to put in a 50:50 mix.
My dad has a neat tool he uses in the a/c business that has a laser to check temp, (maybe you've seen one at the race track to check tire temp) anyway... housing right off the head, 180-195 degrees, exhuast manifold just for fun 375. I think the guage in the cluster could be out of whack, could it be that I am paranoid and I feel that fuel, volts, and oil press, just a little off and that there could be a regulator involve for the cluster????

bill75 said:
are you using srtaightt water? cause water has a lower boiling point and may not activate sensor
the problem may be caused by a grounded wire between the sending unit and the temp gauge. if not and replaced sending unit. maybe faulty ignition switch.

As I said, the sending unit is brand new, and it is not doing anything different than the old one.

If there was a ground between the sending unit and the gauge wouldn't that cause the gauge to show full deflection to the right? That's what happens when I ground the sending unit wire.

And no, I am not using plain water. I am using that mixture you buy, which is good for winter and summer.

Rgds

go spend $10 at the local autparts store and get a new gauge, hook it up and see if the problem is solved. It seems that the gauges tht DC used aren't of the highest quality as the often seem to fail, especially the oil psi. You could go to a salvage yard and pick up a used one and try it too. Might cost you a few $$ either way but much faster way to a cure. my .02
BTW I'd probably hunt it down too, I'm a Hollander and it's a genetic thing!!:D

asatxj said:
You could go to a salvage yard and pick up a used one and try it too.

Our friend is in Athens, Greece. Know of any good Jeep salvage yards in Athens?

If anyone has an instrument cluster w/o tach and has replaced it with a tach cluster, maybe you could offer him your old temp gauge.

:anon: :anon:
Whoops! see what I get for not putting my contact in before Log on in the morning!

Eagle said:
Our friend is in Athens, Greece. Know of any good Jeep salvage yards in Athens?

If anyone has an instrument cluster w/o tach and has replaced it with a tach cluster, maybe you could offer him your old temp gauge.

Eagle is right, there are no salvage yards in Athens, or anywhere in Greece for that matter.

As for his proposal, if someone has such a gauge, and can give it to me, I 'll cover your shipping expenses to a friend of mine in CT, who is preparing a package of goods for overseas travel. I would certainly appreciate the ... donation, as I do not have high chances of finding the temp gauge locally.

Rgds and many thanks

Have you considered that you have a bad thermostat. If it sticks open the engine may never warm up. You may want to install a new thermostat and see if that will fix your problem.

Too bad you do not know someone in the US military, you could have items shipped to their APO/FPO address via the US Mail. Just a thought.

martin said:
Have you considered that you have a bad thermostat. If it sticks open the engine may never warm up. You may want to install a new thermostat and see if that will fix your problem.

Too bad you do not know someone in the US military, you could have items shipped to their APO/FPO address via the US Mail. Just a thought.

Martin,

The thermostat is new, it was installed a couple of months ago. And from what I can tell, it does work properly, as it does not open until the engine is warmed up.

As for military, all the bases around Athens are now gone. I think there is only one base in Greece these days and that is in Crete, too far away from here.

Rgds

Yo John, temp gage is enroute to Eagle via U
S Mail, the mail lady said it should be in CT by the end of the week. It only cost a buck so don't worry about reimbursing me. The gage came out of my 87xj4.0l. It would only read a maximum of about 160-170 degrees F. I replaced the thermostat, the temp sending unit and then another thermostat so I finally replaced the gage. The new gage behaves exactly like the one I sent you, so I'm sure It's ok.

Ron --

I'll be picking up some parts that are on order for John tomorrow, so that will be perfect. I'll be on the lookout for your care package and will send it off to him ASAP.

Eagle said:
Ron --

I'll be picking up some parts that are on order for John tomorrow, so that will be perfect. I'll be on the lookout for your care package and will send it off to him ASAP.

(Now imagine someone with a very wide-opened mouth)

Am I correct in assuming that Eagle is the same person which I've learned and adore as my trusty provider of Jeep parts from the other side of the Atlantic?????

LOL!!!!

You never told me this!!!!

OK, this shipment is growing by the day: the engine mounts, then the RE drop down brackets and braces, then the radiator hoses (I manage to solve the problem temporarily by cutting my leaking upper hose and replacing the leaking part with a new piece, with a copper pipe in the middle), and now the temp gauges.

Lot's of toys to play with, thank you gentlemen. I knew I can rely on this very friendly group of Jeepers for assistance, but you are all very generous as well. THANK YOU.

Rgds

Last edited:
Back