• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering(play)

reddragon72

NAXJA Forum User
Accually my steering has allot of play in it. I keep hearing about an adjustment that can be done to remove the play, but I do not see that on my steering box. I have a 94 XJ 4.0 4x4. I have gotten use to the steering, but would really like to get it tightend up a little. The shop guy tells me that he will align the front, but he wont touch the steering issue. Also when the jeep is cold the steering has this really odd roll over in the center of the steering. So while I'm driveing when I first start it up the wheel will have this odd dead spot in the center and cause the steering wheel to skip back and forth(I can move the wheel back and forth and not move the tires, about an inch or so in play there with no tire response), and you can hear this odd squishing sound. I hope my box doesn't need to be replaced, that would really crap on my lift plans.

Recirculating ball steering boxes like those on the XJ have an adjustment for sector shaft end play. That's done by loosening a locknut and turning a setscrew on the top of the box.

HOWEVER---it's possible to OVERTIGHTEN this screw, and then you have real trouble with the box, so one must not use the screw to solve other wear-related issues that show up in the box with old age.

The first thing you must do it confirm that the "play" in your steering is NOT caused by other components such as tie rod ends, drag link ends, and ball joints.

Once you have confirmed that, then maybe it's time to do a sector shaft end play adjustment.

Ok here is what I have done. lifted each side one side at a time. Tugged on the top and bottom of the wheel and side to side of the wheel. I did this to comferm king pin and steering linkage per wheel. Next lifted both wheels off the ground. I then proceeded to tug on the front of each tire to try and pull it to the outside of the vehicle. the tires did not move. Repeated this process while under vehicle to observe linkage, had buddy pulling on tires. Once again I saw no loose linkage. Next I took a large crecent hammer and placed it on the pivot bracket attached to the bottom of the steering box and tried moving the pivit arm with the front off the ground, once again no movement. So far every part of the linkage looks good and the output of the steering box does not give either. Lowered the front back down and started the vehicle. With hood raised I observed major play from the steering colum to wheel response. I can clearly see the steering collum going in othe gear box moving allot before the wheels even start to move. So my delima lies in the steering box. I read the jeep bible just now, from a fellow jeeper where I work. And did all thi during lunch in the parking lot. Now I still cannot see any screw ontop of the steering box. Cound it be hidden by the electric fan? I need to pull it and fix it anyways one of the brackets is cracked. The bible does not tell how to adjust the steering box, but there is crappy steps located in the Haynes manual. Can anyone enlighten me on the steps to adjust it, or point me to a site with good instructions.

The locknut and setscrew are located on the top of the steering box, and may be obscured by the lower rad hose. This screw is in the center of a cover on the top of the box that is secured by 4 bolts. This screw is directly in line with the pitman arm nut, on the opposite side of the box.

To adjust it the shade-tree mechanic method:
1. Make sure your steering is centered. Do this by counting turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock, and then turn back 1/2 way from one stop.
2. Loosen the locknut while holding the setscrew stationary.
3. Turn the screw inward until it seats lightly against the sector shaft.
4. Retighten the lock nut while holding the setscrew stationary.

If this does not fix your play in the steering, a junkyard steering box is a cheap repair. The box is made by the Saginaw Steering Gear Div. of GM, and they are a dime a dozen in the boneyards.

Are you sure about leaving that tightend? I thought that the Haynes manual said to loosen it one quater turn back after the screw stops, but not over tighten. If it is to tight wont that bend the gears in the box? Wow I'm cornfused now. Maybe I should buy the spare then try this :)

It's been MANY years since I have had to adjust a steering box the shade tree way. The "official" way is to measure input shaft torque while adjusting the sector shaft.

If you REALLY have doubts about your steering gear, I would just pick up a used box at the boneyard. Most guys report them being really inexpensive and plentiful.

The SetScrew and Jam Nut are typically so corroded that your going to have a hard time feeling any light torque on the screw. It would be easy to way overtighten that set screw way too much, if you go just by feel.

I'd suggest, just to be safe, keeping the adjustment to less than a whole turn. Then check the results, and go back and to each adjustment only in slight increments.

If the steering wheel developes friction or resistance, it will feel smooth and tight, almost like its suppossed to be like that way, but slow to return to center while moving, I'd back off the adjustment and loosen it up.

We overtightened the set screw on my brothers Wrangler, his box went from leaking to just pouring out the fluid after a couple of hundred miles. We really couldn't tell if the set screw bottomed out or not, the resistance to turning the set screw was so high from the corroded threads. We probably only put 3 or 4 turns on it.

I got it from a mechanic, he said to tighten the screw one quarter and then lock it back down and test the play, do this till there is about 1 inch of play then tighten it at 1/8 turn adjustments. If the play remains after the screw cannot be tightned any more or if you mak more than one full revolution of the screew then a rebuild or replacement is in need. Also he said get a gear box from a junker that has no linkage damage. Inspect it before they pull it or may wind up with something in way worse shape. He said rebuilds are tested thoughrouly before shipping so it might be wise to get one of those vise a junker pull, since I will be doing off roading it will hold up better. I did find the plate and screw it is underneath the electric fan, so I'll pull that fan and fix it's broken frame while I adjust the steering. Thanks for you help tho, I'll check out the junkyards and see what they offer. I'll let you know how that goes. Oh he also said that the noise and that dead spot is from slipped gears do to it being so loose. He said it might go away after adjustment, but he wonders if that'll help at all, since it disappears after the box warms up. He said it might need to be replaced soon or it'll fail on the trail.

Back