• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail

90cherk

NAXJA Forum User
So I've seen a few general descriptions of this trail on the internet but no real maps are anywhere unless you $$$. Does anybody now where this trial might be shown so I don't need to buy every topo for the state and figure it out myself. Also anybody who has been on it, how rough of a trail is it or is it a lot of graded forest service roads? Do you need a heavily modded rig?

http://www.oohva.org/ has a lot of pictures and decent descriptions of the trail sections. I'm sure if one got to one of the sections they could figure it out from there, but spending the money on the maps might be worthwhile. From the looks of things, it doesn't take a heavily modded rig to make it through the trails. It's actually something I've been tossing around doing here in the next year or so.

What is this secret trail? I've never heard of it so it must be true! Info? Details? I can handle most stuff stock, so I'd be down to go if you find this "secret trail" latro.

I was planning on driving route 3 last summer but family problems got in the way. I bought the map and it is put together very nicely. It is 32 pages bound together in book form of color topo map sections. Also has GPS waypoints throughout the trail.

The cover is a picture of a gravel road and from the pictures I have seen, it is mostly forest roads. I am sure you could take a completely stock rig on it unless you choose to take some of the differnt sections (which are completely optional). For example, there are a few sections on the map which specifically show an option for a more difficult section which will sometimes say "4x4 required" or "powerline road" or "narrow due to brush".

Anyway here is a quick introduction from the map:
"Your journey will be one of few contacts with others. One needs to plan for being self-sufficient. Traveling with others is highly recommended. If one's means of transport fails, it can be a really, really, long hike, and it could be many days before someone comes along. Sections have cell phone reception but should not be counted on. It takes an incredible amount of time and energy to compile all of the data in these maps. Route 3 has taken five months of steady effort to produce. We assume no responibility for the use of these maps. Much is outside our control: your experience in map use, roads being closed by land managers' decisions, washouts, fire damage, etc. One should always be prepared to reroute around closed sections...During fire season the roads with growth in the center should be considered closed, with travel restricted to the open roads. One should also travel with the required fire extinguisher, shovel, and other fire suppression tools as required by land managers."

Hope that helps some.

pdxxjnoob said:
That's great! That sounds exactly like what I want to write my script about!
...um... Script? Two cowboys fall in love in the Oregon woods? I think it's already been done.

Sniggs said:
...um... Script? Two cowboys fall in love in the Oregon woods? I think it's already been done.
I like it! How about.... "Brokeaxle Mountain: Two Jeep herders, alone on the trail forge a unique relationship with eachother and their Jeeps. XJ love is a force of nature, one that cannot be shattered like a DANA 35." When do we start filming?

-----Matt-----

I posted this in another thread and got some feedback. I don't mean to hijack, but route 3 sounds exactly perfect for what the character in my story might encounter. Anyway, here's the logline.

Four Wheeling often with friends and family on weekends and holidays, loving camping and pitting himself against nature, a young man decides to venture himself deep into the wooded forest. His original goal was to get from point A to point B, but when a natural disaster strikes, the young man is forced to use everything he knows, every piece of advice he learned to save both himself, and salvage everything he can from the vehicle. We follow the young man through his journey and struggle.

His trusty jeep gets engulfed in a mudslide and he's forced to abandon it and travel on foot.

Route 3 sounds really bad ass to me.

So what is the "estimated" time to run route 3? When does it open up... ie the snow gone?

Any takers for a trip to try it out this spring?

sams88 said:
So what is the "estimated" time to run route 3? When does it open up... ie the snow gone?

Route 3 is 378 miles long. Depending on how long you plan to drive each day/enjoy the scenery, it is really up to you.

Yeah when the snow is gone. Or you could probably bypass whichever places have the snow you cant get through.

pdxxjnoob said:
I posted this in another thread and got some feedback. I don't mean to hijack, but route 3 sounds exactly perfect for what the character in my story might encounter. Anyway, here's the logline.

Four Wheeling often with friends and family on weekends and holidays, loving camping and pitting himself against nature, a young man decides to venture himself deep into the wooded forest. His original goal was to get from point A to point B, but when a natural disaster strikes, the young man is forced to use everything he knows, every piece of advice he learned to save both himself, and salvage everything he can from the vehicle. We follow the young man through his journey and struggle.

His trusty jeep gets engulfed in a mudslide and he's forced to abandon it and travel on foot.

Route 3 sounds really bad ass to me.
So you don't like my "Brokeaxle Mountain" idea? Shucks...there goes my career as a screenwriter....
sams88 said:

Any takers for a trip to try it out this spring?
Sound like fun to me, but it looks like a Subaru Outback could handle most of the "trail." It might be the perfect vehicle to do it in, actually...logging roads can get annoying after a while with solid axles! :)

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Sound like fun to me, but it looks like a Subaru Outback could handle most of the "trail." It might be the perfect vehicle to do it in, actually...logging roads can get annoying after a while with solid axles! :)

You could either be a spoilsport or man up and get some real shocks. :D

pdxxjnoob said:
Geez. How would you go about filling up the gas tank then...? Cause gas cans only fill up so much.

Read the descriptions...there's usually access every 100mi or so in most areas. The trails intersect highways and such, so it's no big deal to find fuel when needed. :)

funny I just looked and according to the Oregon State Senate there are no off roading places in all of Oregon.

hmmmm......

Keep Oregon safe from all the idiots that populate the state. I heard thats gonna be the new moto....

red91inWA said:
funny I just looked and according to the Oregon State Senate there are no off roading places in all of Oregon.

hmmmm......

Keep Oregon safe from all the idiots that populate the state. I heard thats gonna be the new moto....

Speaking of idiots...

What search term are you using? Off ROAD or Off HIGHWAY? :D

Im looking to do this trail from walla walla all the way to lakeview, it would be cool if some others wanted to ride along.
For any of you worried about whether you rig is up to it, there ways to bypass every section-as it is almost all logging road.

BTW, planning on leaving in july the sooner the better I just need to fix a few things and by a few things.
Edit/Delete Message

I forgot about this thread! Thanks for bringing it back!!

Seriously! :)

Hmmmm looks like it's time to buy some maps. Walla Walla (aka Wally World) is just a hop and a skip down the road. Would be interesting to take a drive. Everything doesn't have to be hard core 4x4. A great part of the 4x4 experience is just looking at the totally beautiful scenery.

@virginxj: When you looking at doing this? Post up your planned schedule. Karl would probably be interested in this too as he wheels in Northeastern Oregon too.

One question though is the section of the map explanation where someone mentioned that trailsroads with stuff growing in the center section being closed during the fire season.... that sorta takes in all summer around here and into Eastern Oregon.

Back