• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE Options

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Just sold my car today, so it looks like I'll be ordering my much-delayed lift shortly. This means that my 2000 Limited's now going to be my sole transport for the foreseeable future, so the current plan is to go with the OME 3" kit to keep the bias towards good on-road manners; I may mix & match it a bit to net a 3.5" - 4" total lift.

This leaves me wondering what to do about SYEs. I've got the NP242 and have no intention of changing back to the 231. So far, it looks like my options are the RE1807 Hack & Tap, Tom Woods' Late-Model 242 conversion, and... That's it, at least for what I'm aware of. Currie no longer appears to be making their 242 kits. If anyone knows of others they could point me in the direction of it'd be appreciated.

I'm a little concerned about the RE Hack & Tap kit. I see what it does, but it doesn't seem very beefy compared to the Tom Woods kit. However, the $900 up-front charge with $400 core refund on that one makes it seriously expensive, plus there's the downtime while the XJ is rear-shaftless.

This thread suggests using a ZJ front driveshaft, but doesn't go into as much detail as I'd like - I'm assuming it's more or less a bolt-up to a D35 (yeah, I know, but it's staying for now), but which spec and year ZJ was it from? It sounds like it can be used instead of an SYE; am I correct in reading it this way? Has this been done on a 242, and has anyone had any problems with this arrangement?

Deciding on the lift was the easy part... Trying to figure out what to do with the damned rear output from the transfer case on back is what's got me stumped.

MIT in El Cajon used to sell one, not sure if they still do. (619)579-7727

You might want to PM Scott (Clean-RC), he's local and very familiar with the 242.

jonboy said:
MIT in El Cajon used to sell one, not sure if they still do. (619)579-7727

Cool, thanks for that. I'll give them a call tomrrow; from what I could find, their prices were pretty reasonable. If anyone has experience with these, I'd love to hear about it.

You might want to PM Scott (Clean-RC), he's local and very familiar with the 242.

Sent. Good call.

Currie still does one but dont list them. You just have to ring them and ask. MIT seems to do the most in modifying the shaft but are expensive at $468 or there abouts when I checked. When you ring Currie, make sure you ask them if they will sell you a HD version as have been trying to get them to make one and he wont until he get enough inquires about them.

Gojeep said:
Currie still does one but dont list them. You just have to ring them and ask.

Good to know, thanks. I'll ring them tomorrow as well.

MIT seems to do the most in modifying the shaft but are expensive at $468 or there abouts when I checked.

True, but that's still less than Tom Woods and they're only a couple of hours' drive from me. I'd rather burn $30 in gas than $100 in shipping :)

When you ring Currie, make sure you ask them if they will sell you a HD version as have been trying to get them to make one and he wont until he get enough inquires about them.

Will do, thanks!

I was in your shoes about eight months ago... While I would have liked to have a new output shaft, and a 'true' SYE, I couldn't - and didn't want to spend $500+ on it... So $80 later I had a RE H&T.

So far I've been extremely pleased with it... No problems to date, and I haven't been light on the go pedal either...

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it...

-Will

casm said:
Good to know, thanks. I'll ring them tomorrow as well.

True, but that's still less than Tom Woods and they're only a couple of hours' drive from me. I'd rather burn $30 in gas than $100 in shipping :)

Will do, thanks!

The MIT one does not include a shaft where as the Tom Woods one does.

Late reply on my behalf courtesy of forgetting about this thread...

It looks like I'm probably going to go the Tom Woods route on the SYE & shaft. After researching a number of ways of doing this, it's probably the easiest in terms of parts supplied and most robust for what I want to accomplish with this XJ. I had hoped that the ZJ rear shaft would work, but it's a little too borderline in terms of its length vs. the amount of lift I'm going for. All things being equal I'll be ordering late next week or early the week after, so I've still got some time to fudge specs as necessary. Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

Back