• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32x12.50 on 3" lift

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I am running a 3 in BDS lift, and planned on running 31 in tires, but I have had a set of 32x12.50 BFG MTs available to me now for a decent price. I have searched and found that some trimming may be required (depending on the quality of the lift as higher quality lifts may sit a bit higher than what they are rated at). Would a 32 be decent on a good 3 in lift, paticularly for highway miles until I can get some trimming done? or would that be a waste of my money and would have no chance of fitting? Any recomendations?

no you can fit it. You just need to trim (a lot) especially if you want to wheel it. If not just some trimming, but it is a nice ride. Just make sure you get the right backspacing on your rim, I think 3 5/16 should be enough.

Sure it's not 32X11.50?

Anyway you can fit it but it will require a lot of trimming. I'm at 3" with 31's and could run 32's..but have trimmed a LOT to get it there.

When I first got my '88, the previous owner had done a 3" procomp lift and was trying to run 31's with no trimming...

rubbed a lot...

trimming, 1.5 coil spacers and an extended shackle and I was able to clear 33's...

I know a 1" difference in tire height doesn't seem like much...

but every 1" in tire height gets you closer to SYE's/fancy brakelines/extended driveshafts/custom steering/adj trackbar/etc...

In all honesty...

Wheel offset makes a big difference.

Im Using 32x11.50 bfg all terain k0 tires with a 3 inch lift and really didnt have to trim that much . I run a 15x8 rim with 4 inches of backspacing. i only had to trim the bottom of the flairs slightly and take the brackets that run form the bottom of the bumper into the wheel well off. it doesent rub unless im wheeling it hard and i think a set of longer bumpstops would solve that. I have pics if you want them. Its a 90 limited 4 door if that makes a difference.

Gil BullyKatz said:
but every 1" in tire height gets you closer to SYE's/fancy brakelines/extended driveshafts/custom steering/adj trackbar/etc...

I don't see how a 1" increase in tire height would change driveline geometry. brakeline length etc. Please explain. I'm not disputing you, I really don't understand.

Tire height will not cause you any need for an SYE etc. It's the lift required to fit XX" tire that may cause the need for it. If you could fit 44's with stock suspension there'd be no need for an SYE at all.

thanks, so 4 in of backspacing should be enough? I mean, quite a few people have told me to go up to 4.5 in of backspacing, but I guess that much isnt completely necesary.. I mean, for now I would probably be running it strictly highway, then trimming more before taking it off road. Then swapping in front and rear 4.10 gears once I get my tax returns, but thats all in time, just wanted to make sure that i could get these tires before they sold and run them w/o huge problems. Thanks again. yeah, and Dustinyork, pics would be great, Id like to see how it actually looks with the 32s with 3 in lift before I drop the money into the tires.
Scott

wow, i've never seen 32x12.5 bfg before.

no the LCA's would not. My buddy runs 33x12.50 BFG AT's and his only broble is the fender. He cut it about the same as mine, but when we flex i get about 3-5 more inches than he does. I would go with 32x11.50 tire b/c it fits better in the wheel well with such a small amount of lift.

I'm running 32x11.50's on a 3" Rusty's lift (it gave me exactly 3" of lift, no more). I had to trim a bit, but it isn't too bad. I was able to keep the stock fender flares by just cutting out the inner lip. I'm using 15x8 wheels with 4.75" backspacing, I really don't recommend going any lower backspacing with this size tire, it isn't necessary and will require more trimming. (A lower number backspacing makes the tire stick out farther. You want the tire to be able to tuck inside the fender under flex.) Factory backspacing is 5.25. 4" or 3.75 would make the tires stick out like crazy, and look pretty dumb too. Oh, and with 4.75" backspacing, my tires aren't even close to rubbing the LCA's or the swaybar when I'm turning.

Here's what mine looked like before I cut the front fenders for my new bumper.:

Img_2354.jpg

Stuffing the rear tire:
Img_2345.jpg

Img_2337.jpg

Stuffing the front:
Img_2389.jpg

There are plenty of other pictures on these forums that will show different wheel/tire/lift combinations, just take the time to search.

Dragline said:
I don't see how a 1" increase in tire height would change driveline geometry. brakeline length etc. Please explain. I'm not disputing you, I really don't understand.
He means adding inches not an inch. An xj can be lifted 3" and remain pretty much stock, running up to about 33's, but as soon as you get to 5"+ and move up to 35's, well your control arms will be at too sharp an angle and will need lowering or long arms, your driveshaft may begin to bind and will require an SYE, your steering won't be able to handle the extra weight and drag of 35's and neither will your brakes, etc, etc, etc... That's why its one thing to do the simple lift and 33's but a whole other ball of wax to go bigger...

the tires may be 32x11.50s, I just saw a listing for them listed as 12.50s, but he may be mistaken, I had looked around myself and couldnt find any BFG 32x12.50s but who knows.

JMotorsprt said:
I love my 32's. 15x 8, 3 5/8" backspacing.

3.5 RE lift

It looks nice. Does it flex? If you have any pictures, I would be interested to see how you get those to stuff inside the wheel wells.
Flex isn't everything, especially where I am, but I am curious how well yours flexes with such wide backspacing.

Back