• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky RE1801 SYE question

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
1990 XJ 4.0 auto 242
Had a 4.5 superflex installed with a tcase drop and 1801 SYE/CV driveline

Had a minor seep before first offroad run, after run it was slinging oil bad enough to leave puddles. Went back to install shop and they originaly said it needed a seal, but when took it in for a seal they said it is a "poor design" as there is no seal to put around the splined shaft where it goes through the center hole, which lets the oil pour through if the silicon sealer works loose, and that it was leaking through the center not the seal.

They opened it back up and globbed another bunch of sealer up in there, and so far it seems to be holding. But I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and/or has found a good fix for it short of going to the Heavy duty SYE and another new cv driveline.

I'm concerned because based on what they said I may be having to re-silicon it after almost every run......

Also trying to confirm if this problem is real or just my rig, as I have trouble believing that RE would market an SYE that has a built in leak......

Thanks much!

Back