• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problem

88rokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ive recently been having some problems with my transmission. IM pretty sure its the ax-15 its '88 pioneer 4l. After driving for a short while and everthing starts to warm up, the stick shift goes really floppy, with no resistance. Shifting starts to get rough going from N-1 and 1-2 then when im going from 2-3 i have to take a second and "find" 3rd it doesntjust slide in from 2nd. Its hard to exaplain but i really hope somoene might have some ideas. I replaced the clutch not to long ago and the resevior is full and lines are bled. Pedal feels funny from time to time and gears grind once and a while. Any info will be helpfull

Id first start by checking the fluid inside. Make sure its still red and healthy. If it isnt try to drain her then get some new fluid in there. Try that first.

You do not have an AX-15 if its an 88... the AX-15 was introduced in 89 with the YJ and XJ/MJ. You probobly have the AX-5 if its manual or the AW-4 if its auto.

edit: now i think about it... MAYBE but probobly NOT it could be the BA 10/5.... i may get trashed for suggesting that :D

Last edited:
ya i just found out from a friend its not the ax-15. A friend of mine has an 87 with the ba10/5 and his tranny looks the EXACT same. Tomorrow ill check the fluid and see whats up

ugh the BA10 mine has it.
works fine one day, shot the next. very upsetting.

i never had trouble with the stick feeling weird as you're describing but my pedal did feel lifeless every once in a while, and id have the clutch on the floor and try to switch gears and itd grind and jump back out, then a good pump would get it into gear fine. mine was bled and full too, replacing the master cylinder tomarrow, fairly sure thats the problem as the clutch and slave were replaced under a year ago.

sound farmiliar at all? or am i useless :p

-nick

Back