• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ Driver door electrical controls are out

riderdoc

NAXJA Forum User
The door-panel electrical controls for windows and mirrors are not working on my '98 Classic 4-door. Still have power locks with ignition in accessory position, but not when rolling. Power lock radio still works. Driverside LED's are all out with one lit on passenger side. Probably corrosion from heavy snow. I think the connectors are under the kick panel on driver's side. Can you tell me:

1. How to remove the kick panel?

2. How to remove the door panel?

I'll look in both areas and see if I can't clean up the cooroded stuff.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Doc

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74108

This link talks about moving the door panels. All of the electrical switches are one unit together, most likely will have to replace from the stealership unfortunately. I had to on my 98 cause the power window lock wouldnt turn off. The connectors for the switches are right under the unit. If they are corroded then most likely the whole switch unit is gone. Not sure about the connections under the kick panel though.

Your problem is in the actual control module. It's shorted internally. For starters, try playing with the power window lock out switch. When it shorts out, it also kills the LEDs inside it.

I've taken the whole control panel apart when Trouble shooting mine.

Tip: For a temp fix, give the door panel right under the control switch a good whack. If it starts working again, then the wires are are loose inside the plastic connectors.

i don't know about you, but i allways learn better with pictures:
backofdoorpannel7wn.jpg

kickpannel5zd.jpg

screwlocations25eq.jpg

i took these when i was fixing the speaker connection in my passenger door. the driver's side is basically the same, aside from the kick pannel, which has a nut in a slightly different location.

hope the pics help.

Dynamite -

Thanks for the pics. So, looks like I DO have to remove the door panel to replace the switch pod.

Can't believe the help you folks give on this forum!

Doc

Yes, the panel has to come off and then there are 3 screws holding the switch pod. You might not have to replace it thou, just mess around with it to see what's wrong exactly.

Back