• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Air Shocks vs. Helper Spring - already searched forums

gopking

NAXJA Forum User
Before you respond I've already searched the forum to find a definitive answer - I didn't find one. Behind each of my two '98 XJ's I'm hauling a cargo trailer that's about 3500 lbs loaded and makes the rear end sag something wicked. I want to level out the Jeep. Which is better for that; the adjustable air shock or the helper spring?

The second part of my question may seem even dumber than the first, but does an adjustable air shock run solely on air or does it use hydrolics if I don't put air in it?

gopking said:
Before you respond I've already searched the forum to find a definitive answer - I didn't find one. Behind each of my two '98 XJ's I'm hauling a cargo trailer that's about 3500 lbs loaded and makes the rear end sag something wicked. I want to level out the Jeep. Which is better for that; the adjustable air shock or the helper spring?

The second part of my question may seem even dumber than the first, but does an adjustable air shock run solely on air or does it use hydrolics if I don't put air in it?
toss out both of those ideas to help you. 1 shock mounts are not made to carry a load and probably will fail. 2 helper spring will effect your off road flexing if this is what you do? I would recomend using a load leveling air spring it can be adusted like the air shock when need to carry the load (they can handel a lot more than an air shock)and when not aired up you will not notice it is there.

My XJ's are stock so I'm not worried about off-road flexing. I will be installing a lift at some point, so I'm just looking for a CHEAP fix until then. I know I can get a helper spring for about $40 and a pair of adjustable air shocks for about $60. Gabriel claims their shocks will add up to 1100 lbs of support for towing. You don't think the shock mounts, in conjunction with the leaf springs will be able to handle approx. 350 lbs of tongue weight? How much can I get a load leveling air spring for?

I'd go with the helper spring for a decent, cheap alternative. Air shocks are right out. Air helper springs (air bags) are a great option but can run anywhere from $140-200 for manual bags (no onboard compressor). A good set of shocks to help guard against nasty rebound and a set of airbags to help against sag would be the way to go.

ECKSJAY said:
I'd go with the helper spring for a decent, cheap alternative. Air shocks are right out. Air helper springs (air bags) are a great option but can run anywhere from $140-200 for manual bags (no onboard compressor). A good set of shocks to help guard against nasty rebound and a set of airbags to help against sag would be the way to go.

Why not air shocks? The shock mounts wouldn't be able to support the weight of the trailer??

Go with the Air Lift assist airbags (~$160-170@ Summit.).
I have them and they kick BUTT!
IIRC they are rated at 2500lbs (@100psi).
On low pressure (10psi) you really don't even notice them.
HTH

gopking said:
Why not air shocks? The shock mounts wouldn't be able to support the weight of the trailer??

Shocks and their mounting points are not designed to "support" weight
They are designed to absorb energy from the suspension system and control the suspension. This has limited weight and pressure applied to the mounts.

When you use air shocks as a weight support device you “can” overload the mounting points and they can and do bend or break. (Not to say that will definitely happen) but is will provide the opportunity for damage to occur
The air bag is the better choice and helper springs are the least cost.
These folks have givin you good advice.

One more question. For the price, I think I'm going to go the helper spring route. I've seen some strings on here where people aren't very happy with the Hellwig. What is the best helper spring for the Cherokee??

If the principle problem is rear end sag under a loaded trailer, might I suggest you address that instead of the suspension? If you are towing 3500 lbs with the XJ I assume you are running a class 3 hitch and brakes (brakes are required in most states on any trailer rated over 3k). Why not look into a load levelling, weight distributing hitch arrangement? http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/singlebar_WD_hitch.htm This would put some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer and not alter your vehicles unloaded ride and handling qualities.

Granted this solution is not as inexpensive as helper springs, but when done properly the system can later be adjusted to accomodate your planned lift. Relying on the rear springs alone will wear them out, even the new springs in your lift. Look at the root cause and try to fix it there.

Just my .02

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I used to have similar ones. (I paid $25-30 for them at the local Murrays).
They do help but they ride like complete crap. To adjust them (increase assist), you loosen the attachment bolts and lift the vehicle by the frame to extend the suspension.
I ditched them for airbags.
(I also have a weight distributing hitch too)

Back