• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A disco d30 into a non disco system?

sure you could do it. Just move the disco collar of to the engaged position and hold it there with some washers. The real question is why? You'll get a lot of answers saying you don't want to. The other option is to use the disco axle, and use non disco shafts with it. If you want to use a disco axle because of gears then take the shafts out of your non disco axle and put them in the disco axle.

87manche said:
sure you could do it. Just move the disco collar of to the engaged position and hold it there with some washers. The real question is why? You'll get a lot of answers saying you don't want to. The other option is to use the disco axle, and use non disco shafts with it. If you want to use a disco axle because of gears then take the shafts out of your non disco axle and put them in the disco axle.

dont foget the seals on the non-disco are different...

87manche said:

The reason why? Is my xj is my daily driver and at the moment i am running 4.10's in the rear and 3.55's up front. So i need to get my new gear installed in my dana 30. My xj right now has the non disco axle. The shop needs my jeep for 2 days to do the install but i cant leave my jeep for 2 days because of work ..etc. So i figured i would give the shop my gears and a bare housing and swap the new diff in on the weekend. Seems to be a good idea BUT i cant seem to find a non disco xj diff for cheap. I have found many disco d30 for dirt cheap thats why i asked the question.

Make sense? Any other ideas?

That's a great idea....since you wouldn't be running iin 4wd anyway for the 2 days your other axle is in the shop, it doesn't matter what you do.

Swap in the axle and leave it in 2 or 4wd in the axle and just remove the front driveshaft. With a stock open diff and no torque, it won't matter. You don't really even need to have the axle shafts in place. You only really need to have the stub shafts in the bearing hubs and then a rag in each end of the axle tubes to keep gear oil form leaking out.

Option 2 is getting 2 wheel drive front axle assembly....likely even cheaper.

John90XJ said:
That's a great idea....since you wouldn't be running iin 4wd anyway for the 2 days your other axle is in the shop, it doesn't matter what you do.

Swap in the axle and leave it in 2 or 4wd in the axle and just remove the front driveshaft. With a stock open diff and no torque, it won't matter. You don't really even need to have the axle shafts in place. You only really need to have the stub shafts in the bearing hubs and then a rag in each end of the axle tubes to keep gear oil form leaking out.

Option 2 is getting 2 wheel drive front axle assembly....likely even cheaper.

mmmm.... Never thought about doing it the other way but then i need to swap the diffs twice. My plan was to find a non disco d30 and get all the gearing done to it then do one swap. But i guess i could take mine out that is currently in the xj and give it to the shop then use a spare diff for 2 days.

Rent a car for two days. The money you spend will be will worth the money saved on buying another diff and messing around with swapping it in and out.

If you are really on a time crunch, strip the axles out and remove the front driveshaft. Then all the shop has to do is the gear install which should be done in under a day. Later you can put the shafts back in at your liesure. Will probably save you a bit on labour as well.

cLAYH said:
Rent a car for two days. The money you spend will be will worth the money saved on buying another diff and messing around with swapping it in and out.

If you are really on a time crunch, strip the axles out and remove the front driveshaft. Then all the shop has to do is the gear install which should be done in under a day. Later you can put the shafts back in at your liesure. Will probably save you a bit on labour as well.

The general consensus is you should run at least stub shafts in the hubs to prevent them from separating and a wheel falling off.

BTW, I agree with renting the car for 2 days, or borrowing one, or trying mass transit. The amount of effort involved in swapping the axle assemblies is likely more valuable than the C$60-70 a compact car would cost for 48 hours.

John90XJ said:
The general consensus is you should run at least stub shafts in the hubs to prevent them from separating and a wheel falling off.

BTW, I agree with renting the car for 2 days, or borrowing one, or trying mass transit. The amount of effort involved in swapping the axle assemblies is likely more valuable than the C$60-70 a compact car would cost for 48 hours.

That renting a car idea makes alot of sense. THanks for the idea.

I didn't see it mentioned, so...

I wouldn't swap an axle with the disconect for the fact of the 260 U-joints. I am swapping shafts for this reason. I don't remember, but I have read the U-joint size changed to 297s with either the ABS or non-ABS 30s, or something like that. My point is you don't want the 260 joints. Mine are both shot, for what it is worth.

Edit: the years are in the link a few posts above. It has been mentioned that the good thing about the disconect axles is the stronger UCA mount on the disconect sleeve.

Last edited:
Why not just pick up a disco 30 w/ 4.10's to put in and then get rid of your non-disco w/ 3.55's? Seems like that would be cheaper than having a shop put new gears in.

You should be able to pick up a disco 30 w/ 4.10's at a junkyard for less than $100. Use washers to engage the collar or throw your non-disco shafts in (with new seals).

And if you are really cheap you can find a junkyard that takes returns, then you just return the non-disco as if it were the axle you purchased and get a full refund = final cost $0.

Just a thought...

wheelin4cheap said:
Why not just pick up a disco 30 w/ 4.10's to put in and then get rid of your non-disco w/ 3.55's? Seems like that would be cheaper than having a shop put new gears in.

You should be able to pick up a disco 30 w/ 4.10's at a junkyard for less than $100. Use washers to engage the collar or throw your non-disco shafts in (with new seals).

And if you are really cheap you can find a junkyard that takes returns, then you just return the non-disco as if it were the axle you purchased and get a full refund = final cost $0.

Just a thought...

I did pick up a dana 30 with 4.10's but its from a yj ;)

Back