• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying To Get Cruise Control Working (I searched)

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

The cruise in my 93' 2 door sport hasn't worked since the day I got it (about 2 or 3 years ago), and lately I've been doing a lot of highway miles, and want to get it working.

From searching the forums, some posts read that there is a small yellow box under the steering column in the dash, but I can't find that on my model - is that a year-specific part ? Also, all of my vacuum controls seem to work fine - whenever I switch the HVAC selector to dash/vent/heat or whatever, the air gets directed to the matching outlet no problem.

The fuses are also all good, so as far as I can tell, that leaves the indicator/wiper/crusie control stalk. The problem I have is that I don't know how to get access to it to check the connections etc....

Any help or other ideas to get my cruise working would be great.

Thanks,
Quarterwave

If you have one you can't miss it. It's directly below the steering wheel on the lower section of the dash.

The yellow box may only be on the older Pre 91 non HO XJ's. I know I have one on my 90 XJ that's shot and have not gotten around to fix yet.

The should eliminate one thing to look for. Good luck.

Check the very small wire going from the base of the directional stalk into the column, mine is cracked and I have to wiggle it once in a while to get my cruise to work again.

You can't replace just the wire, you have to replace the stalk. You also have to take part of the column apart and fish the wire down through the column to where it plugs into the rest of the harness (not fun, I've done it before:wierd: )

Hi all,

and thanks for the replies. I've tried to locate the vacuum control near the throttle body linkage but I'm not sure what one it is. From what I can see, there are 3 cables/lines that run over the rocker cover and attach to the linkage.... any ideas ?

Also, whereabouts are the bolts that keep the facial for the steering column on so that I can get access to that small wire that runs into the column ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Quarterwave said:
Hi all,

and thanks for the replies. I've tried to locate the vacuum control near the throttle body linkage but I'm not sure what one it is. From what I can see, there are 3 cables/lines that run over the rocker cover and attach to the linkage.... any ideas ?

Also, whereabouts are the bolts that keep the facial for the steering column on so that I can get access to that small wire that runs into the column ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

the 3 cables-
one is your throttle- goes to the firewall and to the pedal
one is for your transmission- goes into the trans near the pan
one is for your cruise- goes to the cruise actuator under the hood, has some wires and vac line going to it, maybe attached to the firewall?

Technically you don't have to fish the wire back down the column. I just zip tied mine to the outside of the column. Just snipped the old wire and unplugged it. The other cruise issue I have run into with mine is a small fuse in the underhood fuse box has blown on a couple of occasions in mine. I think it's the 3rd one from the back, 15a mini fuse. also check your vacume hoses and vacume canistor behind the bumper.

mine's a '92 so yours should be similar.

I Had the same problem with my 95 XJ. It turned out to be the vaccum line beieng disconected from the vaccum canister behind the bumper passenger side.

Everything else on the vac line was working fine except the cruise control.

My '92 had that problem. Mine was due to broken wires at the signal switch where it enters the colum. I just replaced the wire with a cord from a computer mouse. It is nice and small and more rugged than the original. B4 pulling the old one out (if you have to) tie a piece of sting to it then you will have something to pull in the new cable.
Brett

not to get off topic, but recently my "resume" feature stopped working. My cruise was working great up until a week ago and no resume stopped working. I can still use cruise control, just not resume. Any ideas?

mjydrafter said:
Technically you don't have to fish the wire back down the column. I just zip tied mine to the outside of the column. Just snipped the old wire and unplugged it. The other cruise issue I have run into with mine is a small fuse in the underhood fuse box has blown on a couple of occasions in mine. I think it's the 3rd one from the back, 15a mini fuse. also check your vacume hoses and vacume canistor behind the bumper.

mine's a '92 so yours should be similar.

What Fuse is it? I have a 92 and mine is not working. I did not think it had a Fuse in the Fuse box. I want to check that before I look into the wire in the column.

Thanks

Tweeternpi said:
What Fuse is it? I have a 92 and mine is not working. I did not think it had a Fuse in the Fuse box. I want to check that before I look into the wire in the column.

Thanks

I am also installing cruise on a 92, can one of you tell me where the cruise from the switch plugs into? I have the switch installed at the column and the wire ran down the column, I just cant find where it plugs in.........

Kuasimodem said:
Check the very small wire going from the base of the directional stalk into the column, mine is cracked and I have to wiggle it once in a while to get my cruise to work again.

You can't replace just the wire, you have to replace the stalk. You also have to take part of the column apart and fish the wire down through the column to where it plugs into the rest of the harness (not fun, I've done it before:wierd: )

NAXJA Rocks!! I've got a '91 XJ Laredo I6 Auto tranny and my cruise control hasn't worked from the day I bought this baby with 160K on the clock.

Yes, my little wire is broken. It's a cable actually with several wires inside. I can repair it if I can get a little slack out of the steering column.

So, to continue this old thread, any threads out there or info describing how to gimmy a little slack?

Thanks!

It's not worth the hassle to repair it, just get a new GM cruise stalk and replace it. I think I paid $19 bucks for mine. Its only about a 10-20 minute job to replace it.

I repaired the cable! Actually it was relatively easy. Yes the stalk will pull right out. The cable up thru the steering column is a different story. It appears below the lower dash panel so getting at it wasn't too bad. By pressing upward on the cable while pulling at the top I was able to get a couple of inches out from the column. Enough to repair.

It did seem like getting the entire cable up thru the steering column might well be impossible. There's a big connector at the bottom. I didn't try but I'd bet something would snag in there somewhere.

I also disassembled the steering colum, removing the wheel, and various parts until I got the turn indicator switch assy out. Wasted effort since this doesn't reveal the cruise wire. Further disassy could be done with the column in the vehicle, but I didn't try.

Did the repair fix the cruise control? Don't know yet since I haven't tried driving but I have high hopes.

My 95 cruise problem was due to a cracked vacuum line at the bottom of the battery tray. My cruise didn't work when I bought this thing. But the problem I really wanted to fix was the heat control would not shift off of Defrost. Found the cracked line and it fixed both.

Back