• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke D35 at the Crawl look!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Well I finally got time to pull it out today. I was hammering on it fairly hard. With the 4 poper no less. My question is. would after market shafts held up better and not broke? Is my only option a bigger axle? IE: D44 or 8.25?

608833BrokeD35.JPG

I got a spare today at the U-pull It. $85 for a complete axle 4.10's + front factory skid + rear drive shaft. I may take a day off this week and get the front for the 4.10's.

I think Warn has shafts that can take three times the torque the original shafts can take... but your diff or ring/pinion will probably break before that? Or are you using a Detroit or ARB, or something else that replaces most of the stuff in there?

It was a lock right.

Well personally, if I knew I'd be "Hammering on it fairly hard" I'd find a better axle then a D35. How's the lock right look? Often when a shaft breaks and release that much torque so suddenly, it'll damage the lock right also.

there's a couple different things that I would do, firstly the 35 is junk and it will always be junk, however you just replaced it and upgraded gears for $85!! good deal, buy the front and wait to break it again, cuz you will.

The 8.25's are a considerable upgrade and bolt in (not sure bout the drive shaft tho), shy of a 44 but still a good axle, you can also buy ford 8.8's out of an Explorer for a little bit of cash, in the $400 range, these have disc brakes and can be found with 4.10's and sometimes with a limited slip, width is the same as the Jeep.

You can also find rear 44's that were factory on some mid/late 80's MJ's and XJ's, I had one out of a 88 MJ 2wd, I only paid $50 for the entire Jeep.

The lockRight is fine. I am getting the front this week for $75 so I felt it was woth the $$ to get them and I learned something about the 2.5L Rear DS lengths. The auto is about .5" longer and will go in mine and the one in there will become my spare. I also got a front skid too. Are these skids worth it?

Last edited:
JT-The 4 poppers could have come with 3.73's or 4.10's. I've heard rumors of other ratios,but have never seen it first-hand.

Ghost-The front skid is worth putting on,it'll keep sticks and what-not from getting up into the belts and so-forth. Just be sure to keep the drag link's adjuster sleeve bolts facing away from it. Under flex with a lift the ends of the bolts will come into contact with it. They'll bind up on it and release every so often with a loud "POP" that makes you think you just broke something. Ask me how I know :anon:

84-86 FSM reports that they could have anything from 3.55's to 4.10's. Of the six XJ's at the U-pull it I go to the fourth one had 4.10's. Not a one of the XJ's there have 4.0 and all the ones I have seen are 84-86's. I saw a new one there that has the factory tow hooks! I'll be pulling those if I have time! Kool Mike, A friend has it right now, a machineist, and is going to try and reproduce one for his xj.

do you want to sell it, if so i want it.

Sell what? The skid plate?

sorry i was in a hurry and did not make my self clear. yes the skid plate.

I think I'm going to keep it. However, I'll ask my friend what he would charge to reproduce it for you. He is going to make one for his XJ and to my knowledge these are no longer made by DC and I have not seen any aftermarket ones either. Hit me back channel if you are intrested. [email protected]

Back