• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Cooler - Will It Work?

Oddly enough, the same ebay link popped up when I was searching for "suckers".....

Will it work? Maybe. Will it work well? I doubt it.

You've got to transfer heat from the oil to the oil filter case, then from the oil filter case to the heat sink, and then from the heat sink to the air. If you don't get good thermal contact between the heat sink and the filter case - and paint is NOT going to help! - you'll seriously degrade efficiency.

I'd feel better having an oil cooler plumbed in, rather than having some Rube Goldberg contraption like this.

I can think of better ways to spend money - booze comes to mind.

5-90

HAHA Rube Goldberg. Man the guy who did that is smart. Oh but wait no bids so far. What a clever scam.

I am not sure if anyone spotted this:

YOUR MOTOR OIL IS THE ONLY THING COOLING MOST MOVING PARTS INSIDE YOUR EXPENSIVE ENGINE!

The engine oil has the most direct contact for heat transfer, since it runs between the moving parts. However, if you're going to cool the oil, do it right. The layer of paint on the oil filter will "get in the way" of the heat transfer, and kill that efficiency. That's why radiators have special "thermal" paint on them (if they're built right,) and most oil cooler cores are unpainted aluminum.

Call me cranky, but I just can't feature spending dosh on this, when there's booze to buy...

5-90

If you like searching wrecking yards look for the following ford crown vic police car or taxicab they ran this cooler and I belive this is a direct swap in as well.

xj trenton said:
If you like searching wrecking yards look for the following ford crown vic police car or taxicab they ran this cooler
Northstar powered Cadillacs also have a beefy plate & fin style oil cooler

1) Will that fin type cooler work?
Yes. By the laws of conduction, heat from the oil filter will be conducted into the fins, and the law of disapation would mean that heat would be lost though the fins.

2) Will it make a difference?
I seriously doubt that the limited size of the contact strip and the number/size of the fins would allow any significiant amount of heat to be removed to even make a difference.

So, yes it would work, but like a Tornado, its not worth the money, time or trouble to even mess with it.

While it is true that for every 20 degree drop in the oil temp, its life should be doubled, there is a point where things go really bad. The oil needs to his at least the boiling point of water, in order to boil off condensation. Water in the oil combines with the sulphur and forms H2SO4 (sulphuric acid).

old_man said:
The oil needs to his at least the boiling point of water, in order to boil off condensation.

Hotter oil will certainly help boil off water condensation but it doesn't have to reach 212*F for the condensation to evaporate.
From my own experience, the engine doesn't need an oil cooler unless you do a lot of crawling in slow traffic or go wheeling at low speeds on a very hot summer day. By very hot, I mean over 110*F. If I try really hard, I can get my oil to reach 225*F on a 120*F day and that's nowhere near high enough to cause the oil to break down.

The seller of the first item claimed "Cooler reduces oil temperatures an additional 25 deg. or more..."

Which makes me think:
How would you test the oil temperature with THIS or ANY product?

The engine temp gauge?

An infrared gun pointed at the oil pan?
Pointed somewhere else?

Any ideas?

prb24 said:
It's a stretch....

...but how about an oil temperature guage?

Is it an engine temperature gauge or an oil temperature gauge?

Same thing? I always thought the temp gauge was a more accurate gauge of the cooling fluid and not the oil.

RTicUL8 said:
Is it an engine temperature gauge or an oil temperature gauge?

Same thing? I always thought the temp gauge was a more accurate gauge of the cooling fluid and not the oil.

Not the same. An "engine" temperature guage reads the temp. of the coolant. This is what idiot lights and factory guages runs off of.

They also make oil temperature guages, that read the temp of the oil.

As far as which one is a more accurate means of reporting engine temp? I dunno...but I've never heard of anyone running an oil temp. guage, and not a water temp. guage.

Back