• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to test CPS?????

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I believe that the CPS on the XJ went out on me. How do I test to make sure that is the problem before i buy a new one?

It is a 99' XJ 51k miles. 4.0 AW-4

You can disconnect it's electrical connector and check it with an ohm meter. It should be somewhere around 200 +/- 50 ohms.

I tested it and I got a reading of 4.0 ohms. Someone else told me that in the service manual it says to get 00.00 ohms if it is good. If someone could verify this it would be great.

My service manual specifies a resistance of 200 ohms +/- 75. Anything out of that range and they recommend it be replaced. Also, since this sensor operates on very low voltage (approx .75 volt) it is very important that the terminal connection be clean.

Are you sure that it isn't different for mine since it is newer? I think there is a different procedure for 93+. Can someone check for me.

200 ohms is the reading for the Renix CPS, I believe. Not sure but I think the new ones are different. I know the Mopar ones are a different type than the Renix ones.

I think MJR or someone recently posted a voltage the CPS should produce when the engine is cranked. That may apply to the new type -- try a search. This would only have been within the past 10 days or so.

Back