• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vilont shake at 40mph

stevebigred

NAXJA Forum User
I Just Bought A Used 93 Xj And Its Got A 3 Inch Lift Runs Like A Tank But When I Go Around 40 It Shakes Like A Sob I Work At A Tire Shop And I Just Put Brandnew Toyo Open Countries On It And AND I BALLENCED THEM OUT PERFECT AND The Alignment Is Perfect But I Still Shake I Need Help So I Can Accually Go On The Highway To Hit New Offroad Spots Any Advise Will HeLP

I FIRST THOUGHT IT WAS SOMTHING TO DO WITH THE TIRES BUT EVERYTHING IS GOOD I CHECKED 4 DAYS IN A ROW SO I KNOW ITS NOT A TIRE PROBLEM IT FEELS LIKE I GOT BAD PARTS BUT EVERYTHING IS GOOD.

Last edited:
Inspect the heck out of your wheels. Little dings, dents and such can really affect the wobble...and if you just installed tires the balance should be spot on.

Check TRE's, front hubs, control arm bushings, ball joints, track bar for slop and check torque on all of those item's bolts.

Look for cracked uniframe around all the mounts and the steering box area.

Look for wallowed out bolt holes on the track bar and control arms and their mounts.

Check caster -- spec is ~7 degrees, but somewhere between 5 and 8 degrees should be OK.

If it feels like a high speed vibration it might be your driveshaft/ujoints.
It may also be a bent rim or axle shaft. Put it up on jack stands, run it in gear, see if your tires wobble. Tires can also be out of round. Its hard to see a tire wobble looking out your window driving down the street.

If it is a side to side wobble in the wheel check out your trackbar, also If it is a factory track-bar in the factory location, you will get this same deal, if it has a bracket on the axle end carefully inspect the bracket for cracks. If it is lifted 3" does it have lower control arms? how are the balljoints? (on a cherokee it is best to check them with a prybar under the tire) wheel bearings?
Please tell me when you balanced them you either put hammer on weights on both sides touching each other and not spread out, or you put stick ons in the center of the wheel in one location, not spread out around the wheel.
and that you didn't use any media in the tires. :lecture:

Back