• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying an XJ but... hopping/rubbing while turning in 4x4

tstaples

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.. strange problem on this XJ i'd like to buy...

it's got a 4.5 inch rubicon express lift, sway bar disconnects, slip yoke eliminator, and more...

however.. when I put it in 4wd and turn the wheel either way (even just a little) and go about 5 miles an hour.. it hops and feels like the tires a rubbing like CRAZY!!!!

but when i get out and watch while someone else drives, they're not rubbing.

It's so bad that when i really push the gas the rear wheels stop and then peel out and stop and peel out.

what the heck is going on here? I told the guy i want it but i have to have that fixed before i buy it.. He's going to bring it in for a free transmission and transfer case check in AAMCO and see if they can diagnose the issue.

Is this some kind of issue with ball bearings or something?

There's also a very slight clunk in the front end when shifting from turning left to turning right and vice versa.. not too sure if that's playing a role.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks!

Another strange thing is that when i start it up in 2wd it's fine, then i go in 4wd and it's bucking, and then if i go back into 2wd it's still bucking.. maybe because i have to back up or something in 2wd before it will actually disengage?

If you have the Command Trac transfer case, make sure you're not doing this on pavement. That alone will cause it to act somewhat as you describe. If you did, take it into the dirt and try it again. Unless the tires can slip a little in the dirt, the tires will cause things to bind up especially when you turn at 5mph. Never take your part time setting onto dry pavement for very long.
Hope this helps

if you have the command trac transfer case, as said above, that's normal. DO NOT use a command trac transfer case on dry pavement. it'll cause binding like you're describing and trash stuff rather prematurely.

here's how you tell if its a command trac transfer case:
NP231J on a red and silver tag on the transfer case
shift selector will say in this order:
2hi
4hi
N
2lo

it's a 99 XJ sport... with 80000 miles.. and yes we were on pavement... does that tell you if it's command track... oh yea and it has 32" BFG AT tires...

Unless it has a full-time 4wd, don't put it in 4wd and turn while on dry pavement. To over simiplify, part time 4wd locks the front and rear end together -- when you turn, the front tires will take a slightly different path than the rear tires and since they're locked together by the transfer case, something's gotta give. On pavement, the tires can't easily slip, so either the tires chirp or you bind up the transfer case and break something.

The other clunk sounds like it might be a loose trackbar, trackbar bracket or loose steering box bolts.

You should buy some peace of mind and take the rig to a competent mechanic for an inspection. Shouldn't be more than $100.

Last edited:
was it in 2 wheel drive and you shifted it into 4hi?
if so, that's a command trac NP231.

the command trac and the selectrac transfer cases were both offered in 1999.

usually, you see a selectrac transfer case in a more well-optioned cherokee. one with seats with headrests, infinity audio system, ABS...

I'm having the guy selling it take it to AAMCO to do a diagnostic on the thing. I think i might call him now though and tell him to take the truck to some dirt and retry the 4x4. I have a feeling you guys are right and that's all it was..

he said, and somehow i believe him cause he seemed very sincere, that he's never had that issue and has used 4x4 at least 4 times in the last year in the snow...

soooooooooo......... i think i'll call him and tell him what you guys have said

I started the truck up in 2wheel drive, then shifted into 4 while moving, cut the wheel and it started jumping ...

what you guys are saying totally makes sense.

Yup, that's my vote, too. Same thing happens to mine if I forget to unlock when I get back on the pavement from the snow/dirt. It certainly grabs my attention and reminds me to shift out of 4wd with my 231 on the dry pavement!

you should have bought the white one..:laugh3:

edit...i'm glad you didn't buy it.
mack said:
you should have bought the white one..:laugh3:

I would have liked to have bought it but my stupid loan wouldn't have covered it. Sorry man, wish i coulda... But there's no way the loan company woulda given me that much for a 92 with 170k miles.. even if it's a thing of beauty

did you ever sell it? i hope so.. cause i feel bad

so the guy who built and is selling this rig to you wasn't aware of the dry pavement behavior of the 231. And yes i agree, that is what you're experiencing.

actually no.. .this guy bought the truck pre-built... and then he put a 6 speaker infinity system in it and some other things.. and now he's selling it because he got a deal on another vehicle from a family member and cant have two vehicles

i also say x10 on bring it to your mechanic. shouldn't cost much, but could save you a lotta loot.

Back