• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size/specs diode for the 1-2 AW4 trick?

boomhauer

NAXJA Forum User
I guess this is more for GoJeep or anyone who may know. What size diode is required for the write-up on go-jeeps site for locking the trans in 2nd and doing the torque converter lockup? Thanks.

When I went to my local RadioShack they had the diode's rated by the voltage and there was only one available for a 12v application. Seeing that I had no choice, that's what I got.

And a comment about something I never got around to doing:
When I added the switch I used an illuminated rocker switch from an old fog light set up. I noticed that I would get feedback from the power line to the solenoid when the TCU gave it power. This caused the light to turn on whenever the TCU gave it power to go into 1st or 4th gear. I meant to add another diode so that it would only illuminate when I flipped the switch, but never did. The light burned out after about a month and a half.

I haven't bothered to replace it yet, but if you plan on using an illuminated switch you may want to add another diode to the line that goes from the switch to the solenoid so that power can only go into the solenoid, and not back into the switch.

nhrocker said:
When I went to my local RadioShack they had the diode's rated by the voltage and there was only one available for a 12v application. Seeing that I had no choice, that's what I got.

And a comment about something I never got around to doing:
When I added the switch I used an illuminated rocker switch from an old fog light set up. I noticed that I would get feedback from the power line to the solenoid when the TCU gave it power. This caused the light to turn on whenever the TCU gave it power to go into 1st or 4th gear. I meant to add another diode so that it would only illuminate when I flipped the switch, but never did. The light burned out after about a month and a half.

I haven't bothered to replace it yet, but if you plan on using an illuminated switch you may want to add another diode to the line that goes from the switch to the solenoid so that power can only go into the solenoid, and not back into the switch.

Thanks for the tip, i appreciate it! The Radio Shack i went to moved so now it's a CircuitCity and had crap for selection. The guy asked what i was using it for and i told him a 12V automotive application and he didn't have a clue. just stared at his minion for help. in any event i just grabbed a pack o' diodes and left. guess i'll try a real electronic store or at least one that knows more than 'black wire is for ground'. Thanks.

Diodes are normally rated by amperage and a maximum reverse voltage (usually at least 400 volts). If the diode says 12-volts on it, it's probably a zener diode which is not going to do what you are expecting. That's probably the case since RadioCrap salesmen don't know anything about electronics. The ones you want probably say regulator or rectifier diodes.

The solenoids are nominally between 11-15 ohms resistance, so you should use diodes rated for at least 2-amps. You can put a pair of 1-amp diodes in parallel if you need to. I think RS only carries diodes rated for 1-amp anyway.

WobblesXJ said:
get an NTE125 or 1N4007. Pretty standard diode. It should do what you want it to.

I am not having any luck finding those parts. Can tell me where to look for them?

Thanks!

Given what lawsoncl said, and the pics on gojeep's site, you will want to use 1N5400 series diodes(1N5400, 1N5401 on up) -- I think they are rated at 3 Amps.

Last edited:
Lou said:
Given what lawsoncl said, and the pics on gojeep's site, you will want to use 1N5400 series diodes(1N5400, 1N5401 on up) -- I think they are rated at 3 Amps.

I found radio shack has the 3A 400PIV diodes. I am assuming thats good enough?

Last edited:
Back