• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA install woes

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I realize this topic has been covered before, but I've gotten myself into a bad spot. It's getting dark soon and I have to have my Jeep done by tomorrow. I began installing my Rustys lower control arms today at 1pm, as I sit here, the passenger side one is in and done, while the driver side stock control arm is still bolted in.

The passenger side arm went fine. I put the bottle jack in between the spring perch and right above the LCA mount. Worked great. I went to do the drivers side and forgot their is a pumpkin in that spot, so I can't get the jack handle in the jack. I also tried the board method(propping it between the back tire up the front axle) and the board bent and broke before moving the axle forward. So now here I sit, racking my brain trying to think of some other way to get that drivers side axle forward to take out the LCA.

Do you guys have ANY other ideas? I'm open to anything at this point. I should also mention I'm installing these while my heep is on all four tires. I only have my stock bottle jack to work with, no jack, jackstands, etc.

You shouldn't need to jack up anything to change LCAs, just make sure you're parking brake is set and you're not on a hill!!

Just unbolt the LCA on both ends, pop it out, and then use a come-a-long on the axle to move it around a bit and get it in the correct spot. You also can use the bottle jack on the pumpkin if you need to move the axle in that direction to get the bolt to line up.

Hey Ryan, I went between the frame and the shock mount when I did mine. Try and and see if that works.

Do the drivers side first, that is the way I had to do mine. I used a sissor jack on th pass side

I second the jack / pipe wrench method....only I put the pipe wrench on the axle tube itself. By using this method, you can align the lca holes and mount holes with pin point accuracy, and with little effort.

Hydraulics' is your friend....... :flipoff:

Well, after 5.5 hours, a bloody hand, cramped shoulders...I have a happy Jeep with new LCA's! I think my mistake was doing the passenger side first. The drivers side I used the bottle jack in between the spring perch and LCA mount, and used a wrench to jack it up. For those that wonder, yes, that does take a LONG time to do. The bloody hand came from when the wrench slipped and I smacked the upper control arm edge. Cut open a large vein in the back of my hand. That was very fun. But I guess all that matters is the end result. So thanks to all ya'll that gave suggestions, I just hope to god I never have to do that again. :D

Just curious, which way does the axle want to move when you unbolt the LCA? Long story short, I have to change the LCA bolts out on the axle end. I have no clue how things will move because I did all my control arm installs with the springs out and the body on jack stands.

Last edited:
leave the wheel on, get your strong freind to get down and grip the tire and turn it either way. works for my longarms

Thayer said:
Just curious, which way does the axle want to move when you unbolt the LCA?

It'll want to move towards the rear. Not alot, but enough to be difficult. After doing mine, I recommend the bottle jack in between the spring perch and LCA mount on the PASSENGER side, but not the driver side. Only because it was a major PIA to try and maneuver the handle to jack it up around the pumpkin/driveline/anything else on the driver side.

Wow, I did the wrench-jack trick that Ranger showed and it worked beautifully. Went to HF and got a 18" monkey wrench and then went to town. Thanks for the tips.

Back