• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!changing to lower gears in a dana 35

justright92xj

NAXJA Forum User
i blew the track lock clutches and took a few ring and pinion teeth with it on my 92 4.0 xj, manual trans. it's a dana 35 rear with factory 3.07 gears. i have 31's on it and was going to change gears while i was at it. randys sold me a 3.73 gearset and am having problems. i can't get the carrier over enough, so i called randys back, and they said those gears won't fit with that carrier. then they said wups, i guess i should've told you that first. so now i'm stuck, it's my family's only vehicle. what are my options? randy's said they can sell me a new bare carrier that will work with it for $65. that's after the $350 for the gears, bearings, install kit, and trac lock rebuild kit. suggestions please!!!!!!

You are going to have to change carriers...the carrier break on a 35 is at 3.55 IIRC. Where you get one is up to you. You could get one from a junkyard, but that may not work depending on how fast you need it. $65 is about what one is going to cost though new.

Is this a 4WD rig?

Back