• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade steering

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
My plan is to get a set of 4 Heim joints and make my own inverted T (I think that's what it would be called) steering linkage.

My question is, has anyone done this?

It seems simple enough. From what I've looked at, the lower bar goes straight accross connecting the two steering knuckles together, then the other bar goes from the pitman to the passenger side of the lower bar. (sorry, I don't know the exact names for the).

Also, I just need to figure out what I would do for the bars that go accross. Like what I would do for threading, to allow for adjustment.

buy 3 heims and 1 tie rod end - use the tie rod end at the pitman arm - it will have more flex and work better...

the tie rod is the "bar" that connects the two knuckles
the drag link attaches to the pitman arm and in this case to your tie rod.

what are your issues with the current steering?
what is your front axle?
Are you going to run the Tie Rod on top or bottom of the knuckle?
do you have space to do this inside your current rims (and spare tire rim)?
are you or do you know a good weldor?
do you have lathe expeirence / acess to a lathe?
do you have an extensive assortment of odball tap sizes like 11/16x18?

if you dont know the answer to any of these questions -
i suguest you start here:
http://www.offroadoverstock.com/sto...eturn_product_id=&makeid=&modelid=&modelyear=

The stearing I have right now is factory, and with around a 6" lift it is laggy, and not even close to a good setup for what I have.

Dana 30
The setup I have like the most is having the tie-rod attached at the bottom of the knuckles and the drag link at the top of the knuckle. This setup would also eliminate me having to figure out how to connect the drag link to the tie-rod.

There is plents of space with my wheels, and I have a full size spare.

Welding should not be needed

As for the last to questions, no

I'm sure with some asking around I could get acces to a lateh as well as a tapping set.

hmmm

you are talking true crossover, not Invirted T then...

like this right?

Either you have to weld threaded bungs into the ends of tube, or buy tube that is teh right ID for the tap that you want to use, or buy tube and lathe it out, then tap it.

For heims, i reccomend buying the more expensive heims - they have tigher tolerances and are generaly known to be a better product...

I run QA1 units (the higher end of the QA1's) and am happy with them.

i bought mine from poison spider customs...

they can hook you up with everything you need - give them a call...
https://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php

Back