• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire with a twist...

HEP111

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

in the interest of keeping weight down could any of you recommend a tall/skinny tire to just get off the trail? 33x___....what? 9.5, 7 even?? I have arb's so lockers arn't an issue. I just don't know who makes pizza cutters in my flavor. I just cant justify the extra weight and $$ for a full size tire that just sits there.... even one of my worn out ones or am I being too retentive?? haha just wondering whats out there...

Thanks for the help!

Interco makes the super swamper tsl in a 9.5in in 15 in rim and a 9 in wide for 16 in rimwide with 8in tread width. It has an actual outside diameter of 33.8 but could work depending what brand you have now. It may just be more work than it is worth but would be lighter than a 12.5 in tire. check out intercotire.co for pics

seems like you have never had the pleasure of trashing a tire on the trail. if you loose a tire and it is unrepairable i personally want to put another tire with the same size/capibilities so i can continue to run the trail and not limp home. if your worried about you tire just sitting there try swaping it in when you rotate your tires:laugh3:. with 33's no matter what tire ya get it's gonna be in the way its time to start thinking about getting it out of the vehicle.
also i don't think your gonna save much by getting a skinnier tire maby if ya get a cheepy road style tire.

a narrow swamper isnt gonna be any lighter than a 12.50 BFG

Leave the air out.

Seriously, I don't think you'll get anywhere with weight savings. If you need space, consider leaving your spare flat, compressed with a ratchet strap. If you already carry an air source it's a viable option. A buddy of mine does that to carry a 35" in the rear of his XJ with the seat up and the hatch closed. He just fills with co2 if he needs it.

I carry a 33" in mine and have it strapped down on the floor. My spare hub is bolted to the wheels, my small air compressor and tool box for flats (patches, tire tools) is strapped to the wheel. These are covered with a tire cover and then a bread delivery rack is strapped on top for carrying cargo.

1 run a 33X9.5 BFG M/T for my spare. It was a left over from when I ran them. It is actually a bunch lighter than the 12.5, but I do not see them any longer on BFG's website.

Rev

bj-666 said:
seems like you have never had the pleasure of trashing a tire on the trail. if you loose a tire and it is unrepairable i personally want to put another tire with the same size/capibilities so i can continue to run the trail
xbazillion

I have twice now seen guys on there way up to the Rubicon with square spares. It appears that they have let the air out and smashed in four spot to make them square. I’m not sure how that would work. I’ve never seen one up close. I don’t know how they keep it from coming off the bead and refilling with air. It also seems like it could damage the tires belts but I don’t know. Just an idea.

Back