• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 differences

Lavacrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 w/ the 242 and aw4 auto, and the auto is on it's way out. My friend at the wrecking yard has a 99 I believe w/ the aw4 but it has the 231. His computer list the aw4's as not interchangable, why is this and is there anything I can do to get the 231 aw4 to swap infront of my 242?
Thanks

I'm inclined to think that the AW4's are interchangeable all the way up, irrespective of transfer cases. The NP231 and NP242 share bolt patterns, so as long as they've got the same input gear, you should be just ducky.

The only problem I really see is 2WD vice 4WD - the mainshafts and tailshaft housings are different, with 4WD being shorter on both counts.

5-90

5-90 said:
I'm inclined to think that the AW4's are interchangeable all the way up, irrespective of transfer cases. 5-90

In 96/97 , the AW4 sensors changed so you need to verify that you have the newer or later version. The later version added a front shaft speed sensor and the rear sensor changed type and pulses/rev. The front sensor is on the drivers side near the front above where the shift cable attachs. Assuming you have the newer version, it should be a straight bolt up. If not, you'll need to swap the tranny computer and the tranny wiring harness. I believe spline counts and shaft lengths will be the same.

Back