• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control/shift interlock related?

OR2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if the fact that my 2000XJ's cruise does not engage could be related to the shift interlock also not working? I can now shift out of park without depressing the brake. My cruise turns on, but will not engage. All fuses are intact, brake switch has been tested and is working.

I am running 31" tires with no speedo adjustment.

Cruise stopped working randomly on a drive not too long after installing the lift and tires. Shift lock (depress brake to shift) stopped working without a noticeable timetable.

Thanks!

Yup, the cruise thinks you are depressing the brake pedal so it shuts off the cruise. The shift interlock is unlocked because it thinks you are depressing the pedal. I'd look for a bad switch or a short somewhere.

Any tips on how to test the interlock switch? I tried looking in manuals and couldn't pinpoint where the shift interlock is or where it is wired to/from. Should I look into replacing the brake switch (under dash) even if I tested it and it checks out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Shift Interlock? NSS?

Can someone...anyone help with telling me what would control my 2000 from shifting out of park with/without my foot on the brake? Is this the neutral safety switch or is it something else...like a shift interlock?

Anyone at all know what it is called or how it works...or where it is located? I no longer have to put my foot on the brake to shift out of park, and my cruise will not engage when it is turned on.

I know that this was the original post, but I need some clarification and some help with this before I head off to spend too much money having some schlub at the service center take a 300 dollar look at it...

Thanks.

On my '88 it was installed as a recall, the cable is about 1/8 inch thick and runs from the the center floor console to the steering column, the shift interlock is a solenoid thats spliced into the cable. Sounds like your problem would be in the switch that is closed when the brake pedal is depressed (near the brake pedal pivot point). Some vehicles Ive seen have one switch for the brake lights and then another for the interlock/cruise kill and some have one switch that combines everything. A 2000 is a far cry from my '88. Its possible problems not realted though I suspect they are. Shouldnt cost much to have it checked out by a dealer or other mechanic.

it seems like it would be related, but I'll have to figure out how. I miss cruise on the way home from an off road adventure...

I think I'll start by replacing the brake switch. That's only a 30 dollar part, I think. When I tested it, it still worked, so I may just go get it tested.

Anyone do this kind of work on a 2000?

Back