• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mileage stored in ecm?

warwagon98xj

NAXJA Forum User
a buddy of mine was talking about swapping guage clusters and in pa they're kinda picky about altered milage but what we were thinking was that since the cluster gets its temp and press. readings from the ecm on 97+ we were thinking maybe the milage is stored in the ecm anyone got any thoughts on this?

My understanding is it's stored in both the cluster and the ecm. I know for a fact it is stored in the panel because I made the change and noted the milage discrepancey in my owners manual in the event I ever do sell it for some reason.

Rich P.

I CAN confirm that the mileage IS retained in the instrument cluster AND the ECM... When you connect a DRB scan tool to your vehicle... you will see the mileage the ECM has in memory... and IF you were to reinstall your old instrument cluster... it would still read the same mileage the vehicle had when you removed the instrument cluster and would conflict with the ECM just like the newer instrument cluster does right now.....
I presently have a 97 XJ instrument cluster installed, but also have an additional instrument cluster from a '99 XJ which I want to swap in so I can regain the use of my rear window defroster and windshield washer level indicator. I have tried to locate a shop that would reprogram the mileage, but the only one I found thru a dealership wanted $250 to do it....
Right now I am dealing with the mileage being 30K higher....

Charles

CharlesS..if you are ever in redlands, ca (good ole' sanbernardino) let me know ahead of time and i will reprogam it for you...I work at readlands jeep

I have actually been thinking of asking the same thing. My XJ has just the dummy lights and i was wanting to put in the cluster with the real guages but was worried the mileage would be incorrect. So if i were to do this i could go to a shop and they would be able to check the correct mileage and program the new one?

The ECM mileage can be checked with a OBDII scan tool and compared against the mileage on the Instrument Cluster memory... Then you need to locate a speedometer shop that will reprogram the mileage within the instrument clusters memory... The shop used by a local dealership where my friend works.... would not recalibrate the used instrument cluster.... They were being greedy and required me to purchase a NEW cluster for programming.... A new cluster is $250+ IF you can find one...
I purchased a USED one from a wrecked 99 and installed it...
I have no problem dealing with the additional 49K mileage offset.... since I refuse to pay $250 to have the mileage calibrated...

Last edited:
Ran into this with my mother's WJ.

It's not that the dealer doesn't want to change the mileage, but they can't - only DC can program the cluster: the dealer tells them the mileage, DC programs it and ships it to the dealer.

I actually shipped her a cluster from ebay and the dealer was happy to install it, and even gave mom a signed affidavit of actual mileage against the new cluster reading, so I do think that the dealer really can't change the odo, not just that they want to gouge you for the part

Back