• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't shift back to 2wd

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
My '92 cherokee limited will not shift from part time 4wd back to 2wd. it does shift into full-time and 4-lo, but not back to 2wd. i've spent tons of money on this car and have had nothing but unending problems, so anyone can give me some advice so i don't have to spend more money, i'd be eternally grateful.

to to make the shift while your in loose gravel or sand, or some loose dirt. Sometimes the drivetrain binds on dry pavement while in 4wd and it won't release this bind until it has something loose under it.

Eric

PSI makes a big difference some times. I also found with my 89 that pushing the cltch or even popping it into Neutral often helped.

had that problem. I believe it's called an acuator. on the transfer case were the vacuum lines hook up. pulled the lines and took it off. the rod at the end was stuck (looks like a big ball bearing). took one off of another transfer case,slapped it in works fine now.
I got the jeep FREE probably hasn't been used in four wheel for a long time.

Last time that happened to me, I put it in reverse on loose ground and what ever was binding, unbound.

Sounds like your linkage.

It sounds like your linkage needs ajustment. In the meantime, get a crowbar and pull the little transfer case lever forward or into the horizontal position, it probably only needs to go about 1/4" forward.

Back