• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How thick are different degree shims?

cowboybarber

NAXJA Forum User
I am needing to know the size of degree shims. How thick is a 2*,4*,6* and also how long are each of these. My brother works at a machine shop and will make these for free rather than having to buy them and wait a week to get them.

Well if your brother is a machinest he will have a protractor and can calculate the thickness.
I made mine 6" long by 2 1/2" wide,Just use the scale for 1' and divide by 1/2.
Wayne

maybe 1cm on the short side of the shim. about 6 inches long, the rest is up to the degree of shim.... that's just a math problem.

in other words, long enough to sit under your ubolts, wide enough to fit the spring leaf, the angle is up to you.

L(6 ") x W(2.5") x RH(1/3") x FH(5/6") @ 3.6 degrees... that's a rise of 1/2" over 6", essentially 1/3" is slightly under 1cm, so your running degree would subtract out the cm over the length of the shim to give roughly 1/2 inch over 6 inches which should be @ 3.6 degrees give or take a degree won't kill you. just make sure they are both the same, and remember it's easier to remove angle than add it back to the shim...

good luck.

Back