• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no blinky

forgiven

NAXJA Forum User
My right blinker worked yesterday, but not today. When I turn it on the flasher stays lit along with all of the right turn signal lights, what gives? But when I use the emergency flashers they flash properly. Is there simple answer??? I hate being electrically challenged!

The turn signals and the emergency flashers each have their own flasher. Look on the fuse panel up over your left foot. You'll see two "thingies" about 1-1/4" in diameter and maybe an inch to 1-1/2" deep sticking out of the panel. One is at lower left, the other is at upper right. I can never remember which is which, but pull one out -- if the turns don't work, that's the one.

First thing to check is if you have a burned out bulb on the right side. The standard flasher (for non-tow equipped XJs) is load-sensitive. If a bulb burns out, it either doesn't flash or flashes very fast as an alert.

If no bulbs are burned out, just to test find the one for turns then swap in the one for the emergency flashers. If that solves the problem, just buy a new flasher unit. If that doesn't solve the problem, look for a possible poor ground on one of the lights on the right side.

Most of the time if the emergency flashers work but the turn signal does not it will be the flasher relay. Another simple way to figure out which is which is to turn on the emergency flashers and touch the relays Eagle described. One will be working and you'll feel a slight click. Pull the other one.

Sarge

Thanks for the help gentlemen. In my infinite wisdom I ruled out the blinker box before verifying if it was working or not. I found the old one (replaced for an HD one) and plugged it in, good to go. Thanks again guys.

Back